twenty-three.

this is a long one, but stick with it :,)

CHAPTER TWENTY-THREE

"WHY DID YOU LET HIM GO?" ARTIE SHOUTED. HER EYES WERE ALREADY EAGER TO WEEP AND SHE COULDN'T EVEN THINK TO STOP THEM. Tears fell in thick sheets and left her half-blind. Artie drew her lightsaber and the white blade burst out like a bolt of lightning, held to the Father's neck as it wavered in her hand.

Obi-Wan cast Artie a glance but said nothing.

"I'm letting the will of the Force take control — what I should have done before!" the Father bellowed, undeterred by Artie's threat. "Destiny is destiny and I will not bear the consequences of trying to change it any longer."

"But he's our friend," Artie cried, voice breaking. "You let him walk right into danger!"

"It seems you are convinced Skywalker's choices will harm him," the Father mused. "That he is . . . impressionable. If he is truly the champion of his prophecy, what have you to fear? You don't trust him?"

Artie froze. He was right. Why was she so afraid of what Anakin might do when faced with the Dark Side up close? Why was she so overcome by doubt? She should have had enough faith in him to believe he would deny any temptation — Obi-Wan seemed convinced, after all. But the more Artie's thoughts raced, the more she realized that even Obi-Wan didn't know how Anakin truly felt, not really. Only she was let fully into him to see how unhappy the Order could make him, how restricted and potently bitter the Masters made him feel. Anakin lamented over the Code and how it kept them apart, over how it was shaping Ahsoka's worldview and stemming their efforts in the war.

Only she knew what was truly in the Hero With No Fear's heart, and only she knew that a good portion of his feelings was not heroic at all.

Artie tried to compose herself. "Of course we trust him," she said shakily. "Your son is the dangerous one."

"But you fear more than anything he will shape Skywalker to bring danger as well," the Father replied coolly. "Your faith is conditional."

Artie slit her eyes. "How dare — "

Obi-Wan lifted a hand and she fell silent. "We absolutely do not have time for this. Artemis, what did he say to you before he left?"

She sheathed her lightsaber. "He said he wanted to help you contain the Son." She shot an accusatory look at the Father. "He thought you would do it together."

"It would not have proceeded so simply," the Father said tonelessly. "On this planet . . . there is a place where everything dark is channeled. With my daughter gone . . . the Well's power is unchecked. Its influence would have reached Skywalker no matter what his intentions might have been."

"How do I get there?" Obi-Wan asked calmly. "To the Well?"

The Father's eyes seemed to burst into flame. "You may not interfere."

Artie folded her arms. She wanted to fire back with some biting and poetic remark, but all that came out was "Says who?"

"You have no idea the matters you toy with," the Father said gravely.

"Perhaps not," Obi-Wan replied. "But I believe if we were not supposed to help Anakin, Artemis and I wouldn't be here at all. If Fate is so tedious, then surely it would eliminate its foilers."