twenty-five.

CHAPTER TWENTY-FIVE

ARTIE COULDN'T UNDERSTAND HOW IT HAD ALL GONE SO WRONG SO QUICKLY. HOWEVER APPREHENSIVE SHE HAD BEEN, SHE'D NEVER EXPECTED THIS. Not one time did it ever occur to her that Lysander would have his hands in the inter systemic slave market — she never once believed he'd leave Tatooine. And now . . .

His face was inches from hers. He'd pulled back just a fraction to look at her directly. His eyes seemed somehow meaner, sharper, more ice-blue than the last time she had seen him after he'd abducted her outside of Owen Lars's homestead. Quite literally every ounce of her energy was channeled into not bursting into tears, and they threatened to spill nonetheless. Lysander seemed to realize, and he smiled. He brushed a thumb over the apple of her cheek.

"I've actually been after this one for a while," he said, addressing the whole room. He squeezed Artie's jaw until her mouth opened and pretended to examine her teeth. "Old troublemaker back on Tatooine. A few years ago I caught her with a Jedi's lightsaber. Little skug stole it." Artie sensed Anakin bristle, but she couldn't even look at him. Lysander tipped his head even closer to her. "No way she'd still have it, though."

The Queen rose from her throne and lifted a shoulder. "Let her steal from Jedi — all of them worthless scum in my opinion. But if she's to be yours, I expect you will keep her in line. They all need to be taught respect."

Lysander stepped back from Artie and paced a circle around her. "Some more than others. I couldn't agree more. Quell," he nodded to Anakin and Artie felt a wave of anger plume off of him like a solar flare, "you've done me a larger favor than you will ever know. She might not look it, but she's been a thorn in my side for years."

     Anakin pinned Lysander beneath his stare. "If she's so much trouble to you, just keep your money and let me sell her somewhere . . . where she won't be a problem. She's equal to a shop slave on Tatooine . . . as I'm sure you'd know. Trust me, this one isn't worth thirty-five thousand. I wouldn't even sell the Togrutan for that much."

     Artie risked a glance at Ahsoka. The Padawan's eyes were blown with confusion and panic, but she stayed almost as still as Artie. Artie had no idea what Ahsoka might be thinking — no one knew about Lysander but Anakin, and she was sure this little display was as bewildering as it was unsettling. Everything was going horribly off-plan.

     Lysander gave Anakin a look. "I wouldn't get sentimental about it. Get a new one to warm your bed at night. The only thing that makes this one special is that she's hard to catch — nice job with that, I guess. But find another blonde one, you won't know the difference."

     Artie's cheeks burned and she wanted to scream. She wondered how much of this was just Lysander toying with them. Surely he'd recognize Anakin— he was all over the HoloNet, people were obsessed with him — and surely he'd know she was a Jedi. She'd done very uncomfortable interviews for the HoloNet before to give updates on the war — surely at some point, Lysander would have seen one. But then again, the HoloNet didn't reach Tatooine very well, and he'd never bothered to worry about it before . . . so maybe he did believe this was just his luckiest day alive.

     "Lysander, take her wherever you will," the Queen commanded airily. Her amber eyes were fixed on Anakin hungrily. Artie really, really couldn't believe so many terrible things were happening all at once. Normally, they spanned out over a few days. "But stay on-planet, please. You cannot miss the auction."

     As if Artie needed one more reason to loathe this woman.

     Lysander stooped into a bow. "As you wish, your Majesty."