Chapter 8: caught

They quickly got dressed before walking out of the forest. The first half of their walk was silent. Both of them tried to process what had just happened.

"So", Emma broke the silence but she wasn't quite sure what to say.

"So", Draco repeated.

"So have you just bullying me all these years because you've had a secret crush on me or something? Because that wasn't the right move", Emma finally said.

Draco laughed, "no. You were just easy to pick on. I never really felt anything towards you before this week"

"Oh", Emma looked around at the trees, "so what made you change your mind about me?"

"I think it was the moment we dueled"

"Interesting kink", Emma raised an eyebrow.

"Oh no. No", Draco shook his head, "I mean when you came over and made sure I was ok. It was the first time in a while someone genuinely-"

"Genuinely..." Emma waited for him to finish.

"-cared about me"

"Oh", Emma presses her lips together, "well your friends, Crabbe and Goyle, seem to really care about you"

"They treat me like a leader, not a friend. I loved that at first, but after time it just got annoying", Said Draco, "and what do you mean by that anyways?"

Emma contemplated telling Draco about their threat.

"Nothing. They just seem very loyal to you"

"Yeah..." Draco changed the subject, "so how are your classes?"

"Pretty good. I'm not the best at charms but I do fine in everything else"

"Hm. Maybe it's your wand. What kind of wand do you have?"

"Maple wood, dragon heartstring, 12 1/2 inches", Emma explained.

"Cool. Can I see it?" Draco asked with genuine interest.

"Yea- oh wait", Emma remembered where she had left it, "it's...in my room"

"You didn't bring it to class?" Draco furrowed his brows.

"Uh, i knew I wouldn't need it today"

"You are a terrible liar", Draco gave a concerned look, "wheres your wand?"

"Uh-"

"Hello there". They both looked up and realized they had already exited the forest, only to be caught by Umbridge.

Draco cleared his throat, "Good evening, Ms. Umbridge"

"Hello Draco. What were you and this..." she looked Emma up and down, "...thing doing out in the Forbidden Forest?"

"Thing?" Emma kept her thoughts to herself. She didn't need to be in even more trouble than she was already about to be in.

"Uh-" Draco started.

"I was walking in the forest to get some fresh air", Emma said quickly. "Draco saw me and brought me out"

"Very good Draco", Umbridge smiled at him before turning to Emma. "You on the other hand will be receiving a punishment for your bad behavior"

"Ms. Umbridge-"

"Not now Draco", Umbridge put her hand up, "bring her to my office.

Draco lightly grabbed Emma's arm and followed Umbridge inside. They entered her aggressively pink office and Umbridge dug through her drawer.

"I must attend to other needs at the moment", Umbridge announced. "Now take this and write "I will not break the rules" on this paper". She handed Emma a black feather. Emma sat down at the desk.

"And Draco", she turned to him, "make sure she does it. She must write until she understand the message". Umbridge walked out of the office.

"Emma don't", Draco said once Umbridge was gone.

"Why? If I don't then we'll both get in even more trouble", Emma began to write.

As quickly as she could, she wrote down "I will not break the rules. I will not break the rules. I will not-"

"Ahh!" Emma let go on the feather.

"That's not a normal feather", Draco rushes over to her.

"What?" Emma looked down at her hand, which now had her handwriting scratched into it.

"It puts whatever you write down onto, or i should say into your hand". Draco tried to figure out what to do. Emma continued writing.

"What are you doing?"

"If I don't then I will be punished worse then this. And you'll get off of Umbridges good side"

Draco watched Emma hold back her tears as she continued to write. By the time she couldn't take the pain anymore, her hand was a bloody mess.

Umbridge came back into the room and smiled as soon as she saw the pain Emma was in. Draco straightened up and smiled at her.

"Very well Draco", Umbridge nodded, "you may both leave now".

Draco walked out the door and Emma followed behind. As soon as the door was shut behind her, Emma ran towards Draco. Draco held onto her until they reached a broom closet.

"Let's go in here", Draco opened the door. Emma soon realized: "this is where my wand is"

"Sit down here. I'm going to look for something for your hand", Draco looked around the closet. He looked curiously at the wand sitting on the ground in the corner.

"Is this yours?" He picked it up, "looks like maple wood. And that's about 12 1/2 inches".

"Um-"

"Why is your wand in a broom closet?" Draco took a step closer to where he was now towering over Emma on the floor, "and why did you feel the need to lie about it".