Chapter Four: The Housewarming Party

I finished packing for my visit to my dad's house before showering and changing into a dark red wrap dress and a pair of black heels for the housewarming party.  After doing my makeup, I grabbed the bag I packed and left for my dad's house an hour earlier than I had to in case they needed any help setting up for the party.

When I walked into Dad and Rose's new house, I immediately saw my sisters, Ashley and Margie, Rose, and my father, who was talking to a man around Margie's age (probably her fiancé).  Caterers were rushing all over the place with trays of food, and decorators were putting the finishing details on everything outside around the pool, which was visible through the giant window that took up the wall across the large house.

"Hey, Em!" Margie exclaimed when she saw me.  I put on a smile and walked up to her and Ashley.  She hugged me, and I awkwardly hugged her back.

"Congratulations on the engagement," I replied, pulling back.  I smiled at Ashley. "Hello, Ashley, congrats on the promotion."

They both smiled and thanked me.  Note that neither of them told me congratulations on anything.  Note that neither of that had anything to congratulate me on anyway.

We talked for a while before Kelsey arrived with her husband and children.  Her two year old, Ian, was also my god son.

"Hey, Kelsey," I said.  She smiled and walked up, hugging me with one arm because she was holding Ian on the other hip. "And hi, Ian and Cynthia."

Cynthia smiled bashfully, hiding her face in Gary's- Kelsey's husband's- neck.  Ian giggled and reached for me.  A smile made its way to my face as I took him into my arms and bounced him before holding him on my hip.

"They've been so excited to see everyone again," Kelsey said.

We all hung out in the living room, talking about what was all going on in the lives of everyone.... But me.

"Can we go swimming, yet, Mommy?" Cynthia asked, tugging on the hem of Kelsey's teal dress. "We've been waiting forever."

"Yeah!" Ian added.

Kelsey looked over at Dad.

"Go right ahead," he said, gesturing towards the pool.

"Maybe after the housewarming party, kids.  I haven't seen Grandpa and Grandma in forever," Kelsey said.

"I could take them swimming," I blurted before I could think it through.  Everybody looked at me, shocked. "Of course, only if you want me to, Kelsey."

"Are you sure, Emerson?  People are going to be arriving soon," Dad said.  I shrugged.

"They want to swim.  Besides, I'd rather not have to carry conversations with weird old people," I said.

Dad crossed his arms like a child and slumped in his chair. "They're not all old."

"Tha-that's fine," she said, shocked. I put on a smile and stood up from the couch to go help Cynthia and Ian change into their swimsuits. "Their suits are in the pink and the blue suitcase, Emerson."

I turned back to her and nodded before continuing to walk towards one of the spare bedrooms and helping them change.  Cynthia's swimsuit was a pink one-piece with white polka dots with a pink tutu, and Ian had dark blue shark swim trunks.

After returning the kids to the living room, I took my bag to the bathroom and changed into my black bikini with high-waisted bottoms.

I went back to the living room and put Ian and Cynthia's floaties on.  I took Ian and Cynthia out to the pool and got in, standing by the edge to catch Cynthia when she jumped in.  Once she jumped into my arms, I set her in the water and let her go.  I motioned for Ian to come over before picking him up and dipping him into the pool carefully.  He started to cry, but I quickly lifted him out of the water for enough time that he'd calm down.  After he stopped crying, I slowly lowered him back in, and he didn't cry this time.