Chapter Fifteen: Accusations and Apologies

"Bye, Flynn," I said. As Flynn was kissing both of my cheeks, the door opened, and Maverick walked in. Flynn walked out of the door before it shut.

Flynn's been working for a week now, and I have to admit that it's nice to have someone to talk to throughout the day when I can't call Maverick and when Miriam's sleeping.

Maverick didn't look very happy. I turned and walked into the living room to put my small amount of wedding planning things into the basket under the coffee table.

"Who was that?" he asked, his voice showing how upset he was.

"Flynn," I said, standing up and turning to him before crossing my arms. "Why?"

"Why is he in our house, kissing you?" he asked, angrily.

"He kissed my cheeks, Maverick, in a friendly gesture. He's my personal assistant. Not that you have any room to talk," I said.

"What is that supposed to mean?" Maverick asked.

"That means you don't get to lecture me about my gay personal assistant kissing my cheeks when you're fucking your secretary," I retorted, angrily. He laughed humorlessly.

"I am not fucking my secretary," he said.

"Sure looked like it when I called into your office and she picked up," I said. "And how she escorted me to my car like she was making sure I left. Or when she escorted me to your office like I hadn't been there a million times before. She sure fucking seemed like she couldn't get away from you."

"Are you kidding me, Emerson?" he asked, angrily. "There's no way I could even be having an affair with Ms. Pallens- even if I didn't love you enough not to cheat! She's gay! She has a crush on you! That's why she wanted to walk you to my office and to your car and all of that other stuff you twisted into making yourself think that I'd cheat!"

"O-oh," I stammered.

"Yeah," Maverick said. His face softened a bit as well as his tone. "How could you ever think I'd cheat on you, Emerson?"

"I don't know," I said. "I just- I got insecure, and I didn't handle it well."

"Why would you be insecure?" he asked, putting his hands on my waist and pulling me towards him.

"Well, we haven't had sex since before Miriam was born, and I guess my brain just jumped to believing that you don't want me anymore. Then, when I saw Ms. Pallens, I just- I don't know," I said.

"Emerson, you have nothing to be insecure about," Maverick assured, his hands squeezing my waist. "You're the sexiest, smartest, strongest, and most gorgeous woman I've ever met. You just seem so exhausted getting up every night to feed Miriam that I thought you'd want to wait a bit. I'm so sorry for making you think I didn't want you or that you weren't as amazing as you were. I promise you that you're the only woman I'll ever want." His lips hovered centimeters over mine as he said, lustfully, "Believe me, it's been hard trying to keep my hands off you."

"Then don't," I whispered back. His lips slammed against mine, and his hands slid down from my waist to my bottom. He lifted me, and my legs wrapped around him as he propped me up against the wall.

The kiss was rushed, like we were desperate for more of each other.

I moaned as his lips kissed their way to my neck. My hands were entangled in his hair as he pulled me away from the wall and made his way down the hall and into our room. Once my back hit the mattress, Maverick was hovering over me, his lips on mine.

His hand left my hip as he loosened and removed his tie. I fumbled with the buttons on his shirt, and his hand tugged my white tank top out of my black dress shorts. As soon as my shirt was off, Miriam began crying on the monitor.