The 5th Session

"I think that today's session - the Fifth Session - should be different," San voiced, tossing a log into the roaring fire. He dusted off his hands and turned to them. "You seem to have a better understanding of each other now, so there isn't much point in continuing on blindly."

"I see your point," Yunho reasoned with his palms outstretched and facing the ceiling. "But what do you mean? How could you change up the criteria?"

Wooyoung nodded and stood close to his husband, hands buried in his coat pockets and his teeth chattering from the transition of the outdoor chill to the indoor warmth.

"I have a few ideas. Leave it to me. Please, warm yourselves and wait a minute while I make a phone call."

They silently agreed and moved to stand by the fire, hands outstretched and faces blazing. San stood in the corner of the room with an antique bakelite phone. He spoke in soft whispers as not to be rude to his clients while they watched him intently. "Yun," Wooyoung said quietly. "There's another white feather..." he gestured his head towards the counsellor.

There was a large feather lying on the floral carpet by his feet.

"They've been appearing everywhere," Yunho summed and frowned. "I wonder where they're from..."

Wooyoung hummed in reply and looked into the orange flames licking the fireguard. "But more importantly, are you sure you saw pink fire?"

"I...I don't know anymore. I mean, I think I did, but it's a bit hazy."

The clunking of the phone being put back on its stand resounded through the room and San shot them both friendly smiles. "Sorry about that. My friend was having troubles moving into a new house."

"That's alright," they assured him and looked at each other in thought. Yunho took off his coat and carried both his and Wooyoung's to the couch, where he draped them over the back. "It's so cold today. Winter is making a statement."

"It is indeed," San agreed and carried himself regally towards them. He moved past them, leaving a lingering scent of flowers and cookies in his wake. "Now, about the session. Do you want to follow me?"

They tilted their heads in confusion. "Uh, sure?" Wooyoung answered and looked at Yunho, beckoning him to come with him as they wandered over to the door where San was standing. His voice was humming a lilting tune that put the married couple at ease. They didn't know why they were leaving the counselling room, but surely there must've been a good explanation.

They walked through the door and into the hallway, where the light was dimmed from the lack of activity. They started up again and shone, outlining the hall and the four doors lining it. They stopped when they reached Room Four. "We're going to observe other couples' issues."

"What?" Wooyoung whispered, hoping not to be too loud and interrupt the people behind the door. "Are we even allowed to do that?"

"Dunno, but as long as we stay quiet, they won't even notice our presence."

Yunho looked baffled at the idea, knowing that it would be difficult to conceal their presence if they were opening the door and walking around. But something about the counsellor made him feel as though everything was right with the world. If San said that it would be okay, then it would be okay. He nodded, glancing at the gold number and the plaque, which had a shine on it from his angle. "If you say so."

Wooyoung gulped, not wanting to disturb the couple behind the door.

"Oh, and two more things: don't breathe a word while we're inside, and hold each other's hands."

"Why?" Yunho asked quietly but founding himself compelled to slip his hand into Woo's.

"It keeps us together so that we won't get too distracted. Make sure not to let go."