Problems

FP Jones had already had a terrible day. Jughead decided to up and leave for Toledo and he was pissed off at himself for it. He tried- tried to be a good father, the dad Jughead deserved, but no matter what he did, he always seemed to mess it up. Just last year his son was homeless because of him. If FP was going to be completely honest with himself, he was ashamed. Any parent would be. He wasn't proud of his past mistakes - or his current ones - but the least he could do was try to make up for it all and be a better dad. He thought about getting some tips from Fred, but there's no instruction manual to parenting. It's not a piece of furniture to put together. One never finishes being a parent: it's a lifelong commitment, and sometimes, you just have to wing it. So that's what he was doing. Winging it.

Oh, and he had five missed calls from Alice, and she was currently in his trailer rambling on about Betty. Truthfully, he wasn't really listening - he had his own problems to worry about - but every so often he'd look at her and act concerned. He needed to get ready for work and Jughead was probably halfway to Toledo by now. FP made a mental note to himself to call Jug tomorrow. He should call Gladys too, preferably today to make sure Jughead is safe.

FP snapped to attention when he heard Alice mention something about Jughead being at fault. She can't find Betty and somehow it's his son's fault... was she serious? Alice was irritating at the best of times, but right now she was infuriating. He grabbed her beige coat that was on the hanger and threw it at her. She caught it and stared at him in shock.

"Get out."

She was still staring, "what?"

"I said get out, Alice. You can't come into my own home, go on about your daughter being missing, and then blame my son for it. The world doesn't revolve around you and I've got bigger problems than you or Betty right now. Get out," he opened the door and stood there, stone-faced. Alice gaped at him.

Before he knew it, she was in his face, seething, "your "bigger problems," Forsythe, are whether or not you're going to drink cider or beer today." And with that, she left.

"She's gonna be the death of me..." he said. FP looked around when no one replied and then sat on the sofa with his face in his hands. Right. Jughead was gone, and now he was talking to himself. What a brilliant day. He could pack up and make his way to Toledo: it was tempting to do, but he was finally sober, and seeing Gladys... well, he'd probably fall to rock bottom again with her around. They only married because she ended up pregnant with Jughead. He loved his kids, and when FP thought about it - really, really thought about it - he knew that without them he'd still be an alcoholic. Jughead and Jellybean make him his best.

He's a better man for his children, and if that means pushing Jughead away to Toledo to save that boy's ass, then that's what he'll do. They're safer without him around, and for now, that's the way it has to be. No matter how much he hates it.