Chapter One

It's been a few years since Japan had fully sank. We have been building ourselves back up as Japan slowly returns from below the sea. It's just Go and I, though I get messages from Kite every once in a while. It's not that easy to think back to those times. Those days were miserable. But something that hurt me the most was that every night, when I closed my eyes, I would see one of the multiple things that had happened in front of us. The explosion, the collapsing because of the gas, gramp's dying to help us get to safety, mom... and Koga. The wave crashing over him is one of the most frequent memories that play out in my head. It's horrible. I wish I had done something. If we just hadn't dropped the chip, maybe then he would still be here with us...
"Ayumu. It's time for your practice. Are you ready to go?" Go stood at my door, looking at me all concerned. "Do you need to take the day off? Maybe that would be best."
"No Go. I have to go to practice. Thank you for the concern though." I pushed myself off my bed and grabbed my phone from my bed stand as I looked through my notifications. Most were just posts from people or stupid notifications that no one pays attention to anyway. But what I was looking for was an update from Kite. He decided it was his job to find any of the remains of Japan citizens and give them a proper burial. I think that was brave of him. I mean. He is willing to go out there and put himself in the position to witness the unthinkable. But I guess anyone that had been in Japan eight years ago and survived had seen much worse.
I shook my to clear my mind. What was it that Kite joked about? His mind always being clear. Yeah. I'm sure it was. There was no text from him. I'm not really surprised but I could at least hope. Maybe he would be there this Saturday. He always makes it to my races. So maybe I'll actually get to chat with him this time. All I can do is hope. He is really all Go and I have left. He is our connection to our mother. He had memories with her too. I felt tears prick the corners of my eyes. I wiped then away before heading out to practice.