ONE - FIRST MEET

"Y/n!"

The timid girl looks up from her phone screen to meet her mother's eyes. It was only their third day in Japan and she was already tired out from all of the shopping and events. Her mother had her carry most of her shopping bags as she strolled around freely at the outdoor market place.

"Yes mom?" she sighs, picking up some of the bags she placed on the floor. "What is it?"

"You're aunt is coming shopping with us, but if you're too tired you can go over to that park near by and I'll come pick you up later, alright? And make sure to watch my stuff!"

Y/n rolls her eyes. The thought of being alone didn't quite scare her, she was just nervous of all of the stares she would get. It wasn't the first time her mother left her alone as she shopped to her heart's content. But everytime she did, she would notice the stares she got as people walked by. Being the introvert she is, her embarrassment increased basically every second. Plus, what if she had gotten lost? She didn't know any Japanese except for the few basics like, "Oh Hayo!" or "Gomen Nasai!". Her mother shamed her for not learning as a child, and look where she is now!

And how would she scream for help if something went wrong? Yes, even at the age of 15 she still over worries about everything. That's totally normal though! Yep, yep, yep! She's never anxious at all...

But nonetheless, she parts ways with her mom and ends up finding herself sitting on a bench in the park. Surrounding her are kids, teens, and elderly people. Lucky for her, everybody was way too preoccupied to even notice she arrived.

Except for one.

Not too far from his view of sight, he and his teammates were simply minding their own business until one of them noticed the girl taking a seat, alone.

Curiosity instantly made its way to his mind, but the first thing that popped up is the fact of how cute she looked with her h/c hair swept to the side and her hat which covered most of her face since she was looking down at her phone's screen. The other two took notice of their friend dozing off. It didn't hit them until they took notice of what direction he was looking at.

Two mischievous grins appear, nudging their friend.

"Oi, Suna!" one of them speaks. "Who's the girl you're staring at?"

"Shut up Atsumu," Suna says, rolling his eyes at the twin.

"If you're interested you should go ask for her number," the other one says, wrapping an arm around his shoulder. "She does look like your type."

"Maybe I will," he retorts, his gaze stays locked on her despite the two annoying twins by his side. There was something about her that just trapped him in, but what?

"Why do you listen to Samu but not me!" Atsumu exclaims, pouting.

"Because he obviously prefers me than you," Osamu teases, sticking his tongue out at his twin brother.

Once again, Suna rolls his eyes at the two. But if Suna had to be honest, he really did prefer Osamu over Atsumu. Well, it depends with who's being more annoying at the moment.

"I guess I'll take you're advice Osamu," he speaks, grabbing his phone out of his pocket and stuffing the other hand in. The two boys stare at him in shock. Suna isn't really one to be interested in girls, but somehow this stranger was able to attract him out of the blue. He simply makes his way to the girl, who is simply trying to stay unnoticeable as possible.

Y/n didn't even notice him coming her way until she felt a light tap on her shoulder. Rising her head up, her eyes meet with fox like eyes.

"Hi?" she softly questions, locking her knees together.

"Hey," Suna responds in English with a sweet smile. He shows out his phone and points to it. "すみません、番号を教えてもらえますか?"
(excuse me, can I have your number?)

Y/n's eyes slightly widen in surprise.

'Fuck! He speaks Japanese— idiot y/n. we're in Japan. It's fine, we got this—"

"Um, what did you say?" she asks, tilting her head to show her confusion.

Suna tries to process the words she just said, but he couldn't quite get it. The two ended up staring at each other until Y/n remembered something she learned back on television.

"英語を話せますか?" she shrugs, hoping he would understand her poorly spoken Japanese.
(do you speak English?)

Suna shakes his head. "申し訳ありません、私は英語が上手に話せません"
(sorry, I don't speak English well)

Y/n sighs, taking that as a huge no. What if he was lost and asked her for directions? What if he had lost her dog or something and asked her if she saw one run by? Y/n felt utterly useless with not knowing how to respond.

Suddenly, an idea pops inside her head. Suna watches her as she gets inside her phone and started typing something up.

'Why didn't I think of this before!? I'm such a dumbass, google is always on my side. not really though, still-'

She holds up the screen to Suna hoping he would get what she's trying to do. On the screen was google translate, her untrustworthy buddy whenever she was desperate for help during Spanish class. On the app she typed in English, sorry, I don't understand Japanese and I can't speak it all that much. Can you ask me your question again but with a translator too? Then at the bottom of the English sentence was is translation in Japanese. She made a reminder to herself to download a translation app.

Suna quickly understands the situation. If Atsumu was right by his side now, he'd probably say to forget about her and that he has no chance whatsoever.

"How could you get a girl to fall for you if can't speak the same language?"
Is what he'd probably say to him right now. But at the moment, Suna could care less about their different languages. He quickly entered his translation app and did exactly what she did but reversed.

He holds up his phone this time and Y/n stares at it in shock.

I think you're cute, can I have your number?

"W-what!?" she shouts in English, her eyes widening in shock.

'That's what he was asking me!? I can't believe I thought the guy was lost or something! He came up to me because he thought I was cute and wanted my number? Wait, he's cute too but.. what if he's using it for bad purposes?'

Y/n begins typing on her phone and shows him her message.

I'm sorry, but I can't give you my number. I'll give you my Snapchat though!

"それもうまくいく." Suna grins, swiping through his phone to find the Snapchat app. Even though Y/n was awful at Japanese, she knew it was a yes of somewhat with that adorable smile on his lips.

A / N
if y'all see any mistakes in the next chapters please tell me so i can fix them. i hate reading my own writing lmfao.
— faith from 6•28•21