Chapter 2: The Glove (Part 2)

Maybe this is what it feels like to be rich? Rydel thought off the images of upper class citizens wearing white gloves everywhere they go to avoid getting the filth of the world on their hands, then proceed to wipe their butt after taking their gloves off. He rubbed both hands together and the left just felt softer and smoother than a baby's butt cheek, not that he would know what that feels like.

'So I just get a free glove?' This was the only thing Rydel can make of the current situation, this technology is definitely beyond what he knew. It wasn't something that resembles technology of the other two races either, maybe except some bio-morphing technology from the Aquarians. He tried feeling for the edge of the glove, but the soft metal just merged with his skin right pass the wrist joint and became a part of him seamlessly.

'I guess I have to leave this on until I get back to base...' Rydel murmured to himself as he starts to look for the exit to the chamber, 'at least I wasn't eaten or killed.'

Speaking of which, the ground around him started shaking and the sound of cracking rocks echoes in the chamber. Ryder quickly scanned for any sign of the chamber collapsing around him, but it seems like it was the column that used to house the glove that's making the noise. The outer layers had cracks forming all over and the segments peeled off one by one and drifting to the floor. What's revealed beneath was a perfect cylinder made of the same type of metal that forms the glove. The cylinder sat still for a while, as if it's checking out Rydel.

It doesn't matter what's going on, but it might be best for me to leave now. Rydel kept his eye on the cylinder for any movements and slowly moved backwards. The moment he moves, the cylinder moved too. Despite the cool temperature of the cave, the cylinder reforms itself into the shape of a humanoid like how melted iron fills a mold. These kind of fluidic metal belonged in science fiction, yet he is seeing it with his own two eyes. The height and width of that humanoid closely matches that of Rydel's and an uneasy feeling creeps up along his back.

Fight. Using the artifact. FIGHT!

A voice erupted within Rydel's head made pushed him back a step. Fight? The artifact? What is going on? Where is the voice coming from?

As if the metal humanoid is reading his mind, it charges forward and swung right at Rydel with a blazing burst of speed. Rydel pivots around his left leg to avoid the close attack and prepares to strike the side the humanoid. Right as he pulled out the gun for a quick shot, an arm extruded from the side of its body and knocked the gun away.

Rydel quickly hopped back and kept some distance between him and it. That thing has no facial features, which means it doesn't use visual to detect movements. This is more akin to combat robots that the space fleet used to train the combat troops. Rydel wasn't particularly keen when it comes to combat training, but now he just have to suck it up and stand his ground. The gun is 3 meters away and it will take him a generous 2 second to reach it. From what he just saw, that's plenty of time for that humanoid to react and cut him short. He took out the knife that's tucked away in his belt and grasped it firmly in his palms.

'Come on!' Rydel taunted.

Use the artifact!

That same voice exploded in his head once again. At this moment, this strange voice is just yet another distraction from his current opponent. Rydel shook his head and ignored it. He doubt the knife will do anything to the humanoid, but it's still better than cracking all the bones in his hand. He swung the knife a few times in front of him like a sort of warning signal. The humanoid remained emotionless.

Then, all of a sudden, it attacked. With a swift strike of its arms extending right across the distance between them two, the knife was clearly knocked out of his hand. Then another strike accurately hits the knife exactly as it lands and sends it spinning away from Rydel. Now it seems quite clear what it wants Rydel to do.