07 | The Sinking Ship

Author's Note: You meet Michael and Emmaline from "UNFAITHFULLY YOURS" by yours truly. Their story is lighter in tone, but the same "PRODIGAL RETURNS" theme with the hero returning to Cherry Hills and his wife. I hope you like it!

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

    Dearest Noelle,

    I had sex last night. She was hot, and I was a monster.

    Was it because I was using her to forget my own misery? Was it because I was using her body to numb down my pain? Or was it because I was so foxed so that I couldn't see her face when I was inside her?

    The foolish woman was thankful that I offered her breakfast. She thanked me because I didn't treat her like a whore. But if only she knew.

    ...that it was you I imagined the whole time. I imagined your eyesgreen as spring grass and sparkling like dew in the morning sun. Your full lips. Your tiny, tiny nose with those beautiful , golden freckles. I tried to count all of them until I lost the count.

    Now you see, you've ruined every other woman on this planet for me. And I can never use a woman like that once again.

    Ever yours,

    Aiden

― Aiden Summers to Noelle Montcliff after fifty three weeks of her disappearance.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

    Noelle knew life had its gleam of sunshine.

    Maybe this was one of those days when she would forget she is Noelle Frostine who wants to avenge the death of her parents. That she was a broken girl who wants to forget and has nothing left in her life than revenge. Cherry Hills, even though as heart breaking as it was, had been her safe place―where she yielded power. As they say, ships are always safe in harbor.

    But then that's why the ships aren't made, are they?

    Just today, Noelle was going to stay ashore, safe, in the harbor. With Aiden. She faced the sunshine, to ignore the shadows just once.

    "You still have freckles," Aiden murmured, pointing at her nose.

    "Hmm." Her eyes were closed when she sighed dreamily. She had made no effort to hide her imperfections behind foundation and concealer today. The day was too warm and sweet, and she wanted to embrace it well with her naked face. So she discarded every bit of make-up today, and it had a positive effect on her: she felt less... impenetrable.

    After a momentary silence, he asked, "What did you do apart from making money?"

    There was a flicker of smile on her face when she replied. "I write blogs under a pseudonym as a hobby. Travelling blogs mostly, and sometimes philosophical blogs. Then Cecily and I also have a Travel Agency Company, but Cecily is the primary owner, I just help her with, you know, stuff? It is called 'Eat. Travel. Love' and has single women who want to travel across continents as the clientele. We take care of everything from their security to amusement. It was Cecily's idea, and she's amazing. Then there are orphanages, of course, we associate with, and a lodging house to rebuild lives of people like us. Then there's always Nicholas bugging me, as if I have anything better to do than pretend I understand a thing he does. It's all tech stuff, so I just hog over the new money he makes."