09 | The Oblivious King

Dearest Noelle,

    Do you remember the time when you broke your leg, and you had to go for Homecoming dance? You asked me how will you ever go.

    I remember telling you it's similar to living with a broken heart. You get your heart broken in many stages of life, and you somehow still learn to love with it. You really don't have to have a whole heart to love someone dear. Just like that you have to learn to dance with the limp.

    You learnt to dance with a broken leg.

    You learnt to live without your parents.

    You learnt to love me with your broken heart.

    But, my sweet Noelle, how am I ever going to learn to live without you?

    Ever Yours,
    Aiden

― Aiden Summers to Noelle Montcliff after sixty four weeks of her disappearance.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

    One thing, Noelle always believed in, was never underestimating her enemies. But when your deception cuts this deep, and you are surrounded by too much light, you often become blind.

    She waited for Aiden to come out of water. She felt like she was a genius of sadness; a prism through which sadness could be divided into an infinite spectrum. As she was giving up all hope harbored in the corner of her heart, Aiden's head popped off the water, and she smiled. "You are forty five seconds late, Summers." She remarked with eyebrows raised, while her limbs shivered due to the cold.

   "How is it that you managed before me?" He sauntered through the water, shivering incessantly because of the cold temperature of the water.

    "I might have a change of heart with death so close, and having several reasons to live. I'm sad, yes. But suicidal? Not at all." She explained, outstretching her hand for him to take it. "Also, I can be very resilient, Aiden." Both their speeches were broken due to the constant shivering and teeth chattering. Noelle knew all about giving up hope to live life because she had gone through it once.

    The nightmares following those several nights of despair still ran through her blood though.

   Aiden was facing her now, when he realized he was just wearing his boxers. "How are we ever going to go home? No car. No clothes. And no m..money."

    "I have a spare phone," Noelle interposed, barely looking like a girl who was drenched in ice-cold water. She acted so normal-treating being immersed in forty degrees to death something like child's play even though her skin was pale and her lips a lighter shade of blue. She leaned down to take out a small plastic phone from her boot. The boot seemed to have a whole package of survival kit.

    Noelle handed the phone to Aiden, "Aiden, please call Royce. We will go to your place for tonight." Noelle wasn't sure if she wanted to be within the sight of Ainsleys at all. If Douglas was the one behind this atrocity, it was better to have a plan in hand before retaliating. And there was no way, she could put Aiden's life at stake once again.

    And that's when she knew she had to use him to save him.

    "Okay," Aiden nodded, taking the phone to call his brother. While Aiden talked to him over the phone, Noelle thought about what she would do next. Someone was trying to target her and Aiden. The most perplexing thing about this whole ordeal was that there were many chances when Noelle could've been killed easily when she was alone. Then why wait solely for an opportunity when she was with Aiden?