4.

The next few weeks they didn't speak to one another. Alice was afraid to call him, since his message had been loud and clear. He didn't want to see her. Truth was, it stung. It really stung. There was something about him that made her want to be around him. Something that made her feel safe and more like herself. Did she lose that already? And why did she care so much when she barely knew the man?

There was no reason for her to dwell on something that shouldn't even matter that much, but the universe had other plans for them. Just when she walked into Pop's Chocklit Shop to pick up her order, she ran into a familiar face.  FP was standing at the counter, accepting his own take-out, before he turned his head and looked straight into her eyes. He stopped moving. All he could do was look at her.

"Hey..." His voice was soft, unsure if he was even allowed to greet her.

"Good to see you." Alice gave him a polite smile. Her heart was glowing, as if life somehow meant for them to run into each other. When he saw the inviting look in her eyes, he took a step closer to her.

"Good to see you, too." His words were genuine, even more than she would realize. He had been thinking about her a lot the past few weeks. Something happening to her because of their mistake was one of his biggest fears. Luckily. she was unharmed.

They looked at each other for what seemed like an eternity, until they both gave into a reflex that they couldn't fight anymore. Without a warning, he hugged her tightly, savouring the feeling of holding her in that moment. Alice finally breathed out, and melted into the embrace.

"How are you really doing?" Alice asked him, when they pulled back.

"Miserable. You?" It was the most honest answer he could give her.

"Me too." Part of her wished she could say that she was feeling this way because they hadn't seen each other these last weeks, but for now she would leave it vague like this.

He remained silent. What was he supposed to say? That he wanted to cheer her up? That it was his fault that she was in this position? Ask her what she had been thinking about? Everything felt like the wrong choice. Alice felt the awkward tension in the air and decided to break it.

"Since we're both getting take-out, why don't we eat it together? As friends?" She smiled friendly, while she gestured to the paper bags in their hands. Hal wasn't home, which is why she had bought dinner just for herself, and she had a feeling FP didn't have any guests either.

FP hesitated for a second. Meeting up with her wasn't a great idea, not as long the Black Hood was still walking around. But she was a friend now, wasn't she? He saw the look in her eyes, practically begging for him to say yes, and truth was, he really wanted to hang out with her.

"Yeah, sure... why not. My trailer?" He proposed with a sweet smile, and her eyes started to beam again.

"Sounds perfect."

**

FP had stalled their food out on his dinner table, so they could share everything they had bought. He had given her some fries while he swallowed a piece of his favourite burger. There was an awkward silence. Both of them wanted to say so much, but neither of them knew the right words.

"Sorry if I have been a dick." FP broke the silence, he gave her a small smile while he took a fry. Alice chuckled sweetly. It was true, he had been kind of a dick but all that didn't matter anymore.

"No, it's fine. You did the right thing." She smiled assuringly. Though she hadn't agreed with his approach on the situation, keeping some distance was clearly the right call. He was just worried about her, she reminded herself.