The Awakening

I barged out of the room as fast as I could. I knew I wouldn't be able to take it anymore. Because it'll get harder; for them than for me. I could stand the hate. They wouldn't be able to stand my wrath; or so I've been told. So, instead chose not to face any of them.

I took the stairs to put the adrenalin that has been piling up in my body to use. I've never covered 10 flights of stairs this fast in my whole life. I reached the base of the stairs and walked towards the front door.

The receptionist was smiling as usual. I didn't look at her and walked right past her. I could feel her eyes lingering on me. I didn't mind that either.

I walked to the bus stop and stood there waiting for my bus. And that's when I remembered; I didn't have my purse or my phone. I hadn't taken anything with me. Walking was the only choice. Taking into account how impatient my legs and hands were, I felt that this was the best decision.

My house is approximately 3.5km from here and wouldn't take me long. That too with my inhumane speed I just discovered while flying down the stairs. I knew Sankar had a spare key I gave him last week or so.

I felt like I was slowing down. Which was true; apparently. The vehicles passing by felt like they were speeding through a wormhole rather than on a normal road. And it felt like this was the best time for some self-introspection. And I deliberately slowed down further.

Was it right to walk out on my parents? I started feeling guilty for what I did. That's what normal people should feel like, right? So, I was being normal. And it felt okay now. I stared at the clock on the junction statue's hand, it was half past 6 now.

I started to jog now; Trying to enjoy the beach on my right. My clothes were a colossal discomfort to me. Not just for a jog, but even to wear it. I felt it was preposterous the second I saw it. But had to wear it anyway Since amma was the one who ordered to do so.

I felt like everyone; the pedestrians, the drivers, the street sellers, all staring at me. They don't get to see women dressed in a traditional salwar kameez jogging at this time of the day anytime in their life. It was normal somehow; or so I wanted to believe.

After I reached the compound wall, I stopped to stare at the building once more. That's when Sankar, our security dada came up to me. He looked old and weak. Betraying his actual age. And I don't think he is. I have seen him running, leaping over a vegetable vendor's cart and even hitting people. That was the day I understood that I never knew this man at all.

'Bitiya, you're early! I thought you'll be coming with sahb and madamji.'

I smiled in return.

'you look tired. Should I get you some water? Or maybe some chilled salted lime?'

'it's okay dada. Can I get my spare keys? I forgot to take it from amma on my way here.'

'yes, sure bitiya. Would you wait here please?'

'that's more than fine.' I said and started to wait till Sankar dada came. Considering his age, I knew calling him dada would be an insult to the real dadas. But that is what I called him. I knew him from my childhood and he was pretty young looking back then. Back then, I couldn't say uncle properly and saying dada seemed easy too. He has always looked after me like I was his own daughter.

'there you go my bachcha.', he said handing over the keys to me. I could see affection in his eyes. He looked at me apologetically and I could feel it pouring out. Maybe he understood that I read his face because he looked normal the next second. He knows how much I hate sympathy. Every letter of the word holds the hate I cannot.

I unlocked the door and got in. I closed the door behind me and went to my room. The motion sensors jolted the lights and air conditioners to start. In a minute or two, the room was chilly. I felt drops of perspiration drooping everywhere in my body.