16. The Letter

I woke up like any other day but it felt a lot more comforting than anything else. I checked my phone for messages and found out that there was one from Sanya. Now, why the hell was she texting me? What if the world was ending and she was texting me to apologize for being rude? Or good maybe? Like she was going to leave the country and she left me all her money? Now why would she do that? Probably, Ehsaas spiked my drink and that was what was making me delusional.

I opened and saw the text from her:

'Don't come today. There's a change in the shift. I am doing it today. The theory needs some modifications. PS: I know you don't trust me. You can text the boss if you want.'

I Don't like her. But I do trust her. I don't want to, though. But the fact that I didn't want to got to work today did make me feel like the time when an unexpected holiday was announced back in the school days.

I brushed, showered and wore something that was Ehsaas's. Her clothes felt more comfortable to me than my own. My phone started to ring suddenly and I stopped rubbing my clothes to feel the fabric to take the call.

Rey.

I didn't know what to tell him. Because i had to confront him and that too soon. I can't just keep doubting the guy forever.

'Hey'

'You said you'll call. And you didn't. I called you yesterday and made it clear that I was worried.'

'Rey, I'll call you back. Okay? I kinda have work to do.' I lied.

'Really? Because I called your office. You don't have work today.' Clearly, lying wasn't a good idea at all.

'It's a never ending process. I can actually do some from home. And it's not an Office. More like a lab.' I said, adding the last point to lighten the mood.

'Do not Correct me now Tripthi Ramakrishnan!' he really is angry. Probably everyone around him shook.

'Listen, I am okay. Okay? I'm home.'

'No you're not. Kamla didi just called. You're not home!'

'First of all, are you really spying on me? Calling everyone and finding out what I do and say? That is class one creepy!'

'I Didn-' I couldn't let him finish.

'let me finish! Secondly, your home is yours. I have a home too. and I am currently with Ehsaas. She's taking care of me and I will be here for a few days. Okay?'

There was silence on the other side.

'Okay. I am done. You can speak now.' I said.

'First of all, I am not spying on you. How was I supposed to know if you were not at work? and you hate It when people call you when you're at work. Calling your lab was my only option. Secondly, Kamla didi called me. She wanted the keys. I am not spying on you. I am going to disconnect the call right now. When you calm yourself down, call me or at least text me. Please.'

It felt like he was begging to me. Before I could say anything, he cut the call. It felt so bad after fighting with Rey like that for no reason. It felt like I was killing myself by stabbing repeatedly. It hurts me more when I hurt him.

'Tri? You're coming? Because we're hungry and won't be waiting for you anymore!' Ehsaas was yelling from somewhere far.

'On my way.' I said as I went downstairs.

***

'Listen Tri... you need to see this lawyer to make sure that you've got all the facts straight. Doubting Rehan doesn't seem to be a good idea. He was there for you through thick and thin. At least ask him about this. Not directly, at least. Please.' Zain said as he sat down on the couch in front of me.