5. The Changes

It's been about three months since Achan died. And during the whole time, I never left Rehan's house. He had promised that he'll take care of everything and i'm sure that he did because i did not hear from any of the officers except when i went down to give the statement.

At the beginning of these three months, He came back home every day late after meeting a bunch of lawyers and police officers and never complained once. At home, he took care of me like a 'stubborn child'; something he claims that i am (which i completely deny), cooked for me, washed me up and took care of my meds. He took me to a new doctor regularly on my appointment dates and watched my favorite movies at night with me no matter how tired or how bored he was. some might say that he indeed was the best guy any girl could get. 

He came home today rather jovially. 

'What's it? you okay?' i was a bit worried if he was stoned which even though was impossible, wasn't improbable.

'It's a good news. actually, great news! i might be the happiest person of the day. guess who's film did i signed up for?' he said, expecting god knows what. his eyes was gleaming under the ceiling light which was dim. his grey eyes looked more dark now.

i gave him a frown.

'arrey! This new film by Altaf Tarikh! can you imagine? he did ask me for an audition last week. i heard that he scrutinize everything. i wasn't sure if he'd take me in. but see! Wasn't there something Sharukh Khan said in Om Shanti Om?' he looked at me quizzically.

i continued to frown, showing him that i was in no mood to play any of his guessing games.

'Kehte Hain Agar Kisi Cheez Ko Dil Se Chaho ... To Puri Kainaat Usse Tumse Milane Ki Koshish Mein Lag Jaati Hai.' he said triumphantly.

'You mean what Paulo Coelho said in his book Alchemist; "When you want  something, all the universe conspires in helping you to achieve it." They copied it, you know? plagiarism!' i protested in vain because he was already lost in his world.

i was really proud because Apparently, he is one of the most amazing directors in the industry. or so he says. and i hugged the life out of him to show that i was the happiest on hearing it. 

we decided to celebrate it with some champagne and dinner. We had stocked up some champagne earlier and I cooked dinner for him unlike every day when he cooks for me.

We sat down at the balcony coffee table to eat the completely Indian food I cooked. He likes them but makes continentals better. I could hardly remember their names and cooking them was another mountain to climb.

We usually play music while we eat and speak little. Today, we weren't speaking at all and the music was not there. I could sense something wrong. He didn't look completely okay.

'You okay Rey?'

'Yeah, I sure am.', he said with a forced smile.

So, I put my spoon down and folded my hands leaning on my chair and looked straight into his eyes. He looked at me to see what was wrong. And saw my poker face. He knew he was in trouble. Also, that he actually wasn't. sometimes, I feel like no one can love me the way Rehan does. He gives into all my demands, deals with everything that I am, and is completely patient. I love him for all this and for the great person he is. I have seen him in all of his faces; when he is very happy or sad, moderately happy or sad, when he is at solitude, when he is at a trance, when he is all naughty like a kid and when he cannot deal with me anymore but still tries.

'okay, so the film I Signed for today... it came in with some conditions.' He finally confessed.

'Like what exactly?' I was curious too. What was troubling him too much?