Part 2

Bede trekked through Ballonlea, bags in each of his hands, and already set in an irritable mood.

Sent out like an errand boy to the shops to gather Opal's shopping wasn't something a gym leader should do. It made him more like a janitor or a carer rather than important figure head, and he knew Opal would be particular about what he would buy, and count all the left over change to make sure it was all accounted for. Was he that untrustworthy, or was she just spiteful to his pride? It was just another thing to add to the list of why he hated his mentor, and as he came up to Ballonlea gym, he could only hope that there wasn't another test waiting for him.

Once he waited for the doors to slide open, stepping in he spotted the familiar rival. The noise of the door caught Victor's attention, and when seeing Bede, his expression changed to something that looked like he was about to cry.

"Bede!" Victor cried.

Bede sighed "I suppose I asked for this didn't I?" Bede carried on walking, and nodded to Victor "Come on, we'll talk in the back".

Victor obediently followed Bede back to the familiar back room, and took his seat at the table again. Bede walked over to the counters, setting the shopping bags on them and began rummaging around until he found the box of tea leaves. Once acquired, he put the kettle on to boil and made up the tea set again, he felt like he needed a strong one to get through the nonsense again.

When everything was made Bede brought the tea set over, giving Victor a quick glare to remind him of his previous comment, and poured out two cups of tea. Victor watched, and couldn't help but notice a particular aroma coming from the brew.

"This...smells different" He commented.

"Hmph, I suppose a commoner like you wouldn't divulge in such refined tastes," Bede mocked as he handed him the tea cup "It's mint tea. It helps deal with stress, boosts concentration and gives you energy".

"Wow," Victor smiled "You gave this to me to help right?"

"Don't be ridiculous!" Bede snapped and sat down "We just have too much of this brand, so I thought we could use some up is all. Don't think you're all that special champion".

"Okay Bede," Victor said nothing else, but helped himself to some of his tea, licking his lips afterwards "It's so...minty".

Bede hummed and took a sip out of his "So you got rejected hm?"

"N-No, actually..." Victor slumped and his pained expression came back "I-It was worse..."

"You didn't tell him did you?"

"I-I did but...but he...he said he liked me too..." Victor sighed and hung his head "As a friend..."

Bede sniggered and had to hold his cup steady in case he spilled any tea "It's not funny Bede!" Victor rebuked.

"You aren't sitting where I am Victor," Bede mocked. Ignoring the glare Victor gave, Bede leant back in his chair "So what do you plan to do now? Give up?"

"I...I don't want to," Victor answered, and ran his finger along the rim of his cup "But...I don't know what else I can do. Hop he...he'll just keep seeing me as a friend like this...what should I do Bede?"

"I don't recall saying I'd help you again," Bede quickly shot down before he took another sip.

"Please!" Victor begged "I have no clue what to do! You've got to help!"

"No I don't," Bede crossed his legs over and turned halfway away from Victor, showing his disinterest in his misery "I told you I don't want to put up with your romantic drivel, and I still stand by it. So I'd much rather you'd just leave and wallow elsewhere".