Six

Wyatt stared at Doctor Jackson as the man studied his burns. Confusion was the expression the doctor wore – almost as if he was astonished. Wyatt's angel, Jessica, had been coming every night for four days to clean his burns and add more ointments and creams. He prayed the doctor could see a difference.

"How am I, doc?" Wyatt's voice cracked, mainly because he was thirsty.

Doctor Jackson sat back in the chair next to the bed, folding is arms. "You're actually healing quite nicely."

"Finally," Wyatt said with a sigh. "There for a while, I didn't think I would heal at all."

"I thought the same thing, but looking at your burns now makes me believe in miracles." He chuckled lightly. "Last week, I feared that you would be scarred for life, but now I'm beginning to think you might actually make it through this."

Happiness grew inside his chest. "Doctor, does that mean I can go without the bandages around my eyes? I desperately need something to look at, especially since I don't have much to think about."

Doctor Jackson scratched his neck, and during his hesitation, Wyatt, said a silent prayer that the doctor would allow him this one luxury. He'd taken things for granite, and having his sight back would be a dream-come-true.

"Let's leave the bandages off your face for a day, and we'll see what happens."

Tears collected in Wyatt's eyes. "Thank you, doc. You'll never know how much gratitude I have for you right now."

The doctor chuckled. "Well, I can imagine." He leaned forward, resting his hands on his legs. "Let me ask you, how are things working out with our new nurse?"

"Jessica?" Perhaps he shouldn't have let his voice lift in excitement just now, but he couldn't help it. He cleared his throat and continued in a calmer voice. "She has been so nice and patient. I can't imagine anyone forgetting about her if they grew up together, but I still can't remember anything. I'm hoping, however, that now with the encouraging diagnosis about my burns, than I will relax enough for my mind to open." He paused briefly. "So, please keep her coming to tell me stories. Eventually, I'll remember. I just know it."

Doctor Jackson's gaze narrowed. "None of us have worked with patients like you, but I will continue to let Nurse Simone try to jog your memory."

"Thank you, doctor."

Nurse Tweed hustled by Wyatt's bed, throwing him a glare. Inwardly, he groaned. That woman didn't have a decent bedside manner at all.

"Well, let me know if you need anything else." Doctor Jackson stood. "I'll come check on your burns before bedtime, just in case we have to bandage your face again."

"Before you go," Wyatt quickly said once Nurse Tweed had moved out of the room, "I need to talk to you about one more thing."

Nodding, Doctor Jackson sat back in his chair.

"I would really like it if you could keep Nurse Tweed away from me."

Doctor Jackson's eyes widened. "Keep her away?"

Wyatt shrugged. "You can ask any of these men in here, but she's not very nice. Not only is her manner snippy, but she acts as if she doesn't have time to help us. And... don't make me explain to you what happens during sponge baths." He shook his head.

The doctor's lips thinned and his expression hardened. "I'll talk to her. Thank you for bringing that to my attention." He glanced at the pitcher and glass on the bed stand. "Do you need more water?"

"Indeed, I do. She only brings me water once a day."

The doctor's nostrils flared as he stood up quickly. "I'll have Nurse Simone take care of you now."