Twelve

Wyatt stared down at the one man who ruined his life. Once he was finished with Deputy Workman, he'd pay dear Nurse Tweed a surprise visit.

His memory had returned, and he had sweet Jessica to thank for that. Although he couldn't wait to tell her and explain to her what really happened after the war and why he hadn't returned home, he first needed to threaten a so-called man of the law. Wyatt would rather see the man hung from a tree, but it wasn't his place to do the hanging even if the man deserved every bit of torture.

Slowly, Deputy Workman stood. Wyatt glared at him and pointed his pistol at the man's heart. "Keep your hands where I can see them."

"What can I help you with, sir?"

"My name is Wyatt Ryker, and you have my wife. I've come to collect what you stole from me."

The other three men backed away from the table, giving Wyatt room to do what needed to be done. If he had to kill the deputy, he'd do it, but not before the man told him where he kept his wife.

"Now Mr. Ryker, I don't know what you mean. I haven't seen Sarah for almost six months now."

Revenge grew faster inside Wyatt. The man was a liar. "That's not what I've heard. I have been asking around, and everyone had pointed me in your direction." He motioned toward the Opium on the table. "And since I know you are stealing from the hospital, I think you should tell me what I need to know. I assure you, I'll forget about your side business if you return my wife to me."

"Your informants were wrong." Workman shook his head. "I might have seduced your wife six months ago, but she means nothing to me now, so why would I bring her with me to Bennington, Vermont?"

Hatred for this man filled Wyatt, and anger took over his mind and body. Screaming, he rushed toward the deputy and fired his gun. The man clutched his chest and staggered backward before falling to the ground. Blood spread across his shirt and vest quickly.

The other three men didn't stop Wyatt, but instead, grabbed as much Opium as they could and dashed out of the stable. Wyatt didn't care what the other did. He was only here for the deputy, anyway.

As he stood over the deputy and watched him bleed out, Wyatt realized the man was still alive. The bullet must not have hit him in the heart. Then again, watching the man struggle with the knowledge that he was dying, was good enough revenge.

Wyatt placed the burning torch in the dirt, extinguishing the flames before he quickly reloaded his pistol. While the man was still alive, he'd torture him in other ways.

"Why... why..." Deputy Workman's body trembled as he glanced at his bloody hands.

"I didn't like your answer. Now, are you going to tell me where you have taken my wife?"

The man's face slowly turned white as he nodded. "She's at my house – as my wife."

The pain of betrayal sliced through Wyatt. Had Sarah been forced to live as the deputy's wife? Wyatt knew for sure that she wouldn't have gone willingly. "Wrong answer again." He pointed his gun at the man's head.

"Nooo!!"

A woman's voice screeched through the stable, echoing all around him. He glanced toward the back. Jessica ran toward him with tears streaming down her cheeks. His gut twisted. What was she doing here? But it didn't matter. He wouldn't let her stop him.

* * * *

Jessica couldn't take it anymore. She had to stop Wyatt. She had to remind him about the man he used to be before joining the war. He was kind, and he never acted on his revenge.