Epilogue

Hugh hadn't been able to get rid of his smile for two months. He'd never been happier, and every day with Jessica filled him with so much more joy.

They sat in the porch swing in front of the boarding house. His arm was around her shoulders as she leaned against him. Her hand rested on his thigh. Being with her like this was so cozy, and he didn't want to tell her goodnight and kiss her before leaving. That was the worst part of the day.

She sighed heavily and lifted her head to look at him. "I said goodbye to Wyatt this afternoon."

Hugh arched an eyebrow. "He and his wife are finally leaving Bennington?"

She nodded. "Poor Sarah went through a lot of emotional problems, and she and Wyatt just needed to spend alone time together."

"How awful for the woman to be told that in order to keep her husband alive, she had to leave with Workman and live with him as his wife."

"As sad as it is for me to say this, I'm really relieved the deputy died. Men like that don't deserve happiness. And I'm also very grateful that the sheriff sent Laura off to prison."

"I couldn't agree with you more." He pulled her closer and kissed her forehead.

"I'm happy that the sheriff didn't arrest Wyatt for killing the deputy."

Hugh shook his head. "I did some fast talking with that hardheaded man in order to keep Wyatt out of jail."

She rubbed his chest. "It's because you are a convincing and charming man. After all, you convinced me that the feelings I had for you were those of love."

"I did?" He tilted his head. "I thought you figured it out all by yourself."

"No. I needed your help."

"It seems to me that we need each other."

Sighing, she leaned against him, staring into his eyes. "I definitely need you in my life."

"What if I told you that I needed a nurse in my life?"

She chuckled. "Why? Are you hurt or injured? Do you need constant care?"

"I need constant care from you and only you. So, I was thinking... I need a nurse for Hugh." He shrugged. "I actually like the sound of that. It reminds me of those romance books you read."

She laughed out loudly. "Aren't you a funny man, but I think I would love to be your private nurse."

"Of course, we'd have to make it legal. I don't want you to get a bad reputation."

"Legal?" She sat up straight but stayed by his side. "What could you possibly be thinking, my love?"

"I thought about making you my wife. How does that sound?"

Her delighted expression relaxed, and her eyes twinkled – just the way he adored. She ran her fingers through his hair as her gaze was locked with his.

"I think, my darling Hugh, that your proposition is the best opportunity that I've ever been presented, and I will gladly accept."

"Oh, my love." He pulled her back to him and kissed her. But this time, it would be passionate. Very passionate.

After all, they were sealing the best deal they will ever make. Life with Jessica would make him a very fortunate man.

THE END