Simpler Times

{ Fifteen Years Earlier }

"Hey Kenobi, look what I have!"

The addressed older padawan turned towards a young Lyra who came bounding towards him in one of the training rooms of the Jedi temple, padawan braid swinging wildly on her shoulder from across the training mat holding a shiny piece of metal clasped in her outstretched hand as soon as she reached his side.

Lyra possessed the widest grin he'd ever seen on the young padawan. For any padawan for that matter.

"Is that-"

"Yep, my very own Lightsaber!" She exclaimed proudly, twirling the hilt in her hands confidently before holding it out again for Obi-Wan to inspect closer. It was an intricate little thing, holding a firm silver base covered in rose gold swirl patterns that thinned out when it reached the top and a crescent half moon like shape which encircled the area the activated saber would leak it's blade from. She must've spent a long time on it, he was impressed and gave a low whistle.

"Professor Huyang and I finished it last night, stayed up all night, you want to test it out with me?" With wide hopeful eyes he didn't have the heart to refuse Obi-Wan let out a small chuckle. It had taken her longer than most to finally complete the precious weapon, and now she could actually use a real saber instead of those little practice ones that couldn't do much more than emit a low hum she was over the moon.

"Sure, if you think you can beat me this time" He challenged cockily, slipping his own saber from its holster into his hand and taking a step back to create some distance between them.

Lyra copied his movements, a large grin spreading over her face at the sound of a challenge. She always did love some friendly competition, especially with Obi-Wan. He was one of the few Padawan's who didn't antagonise nor go easy on her when sparring. He respected her, even if she was younger.

Igniting the saber, the colour of a blinding yellow blade reflected back at Obi-Wan's eyes which widened a fraction at the discovery. He had only ever seen such a colour on temple guards before. Yet the more he stared, stared at the way the colour bounced off her seemingly glowing skin and pale focused eyes, he found the colour suited her beyond measure. She practically glowed with it.

"You just going to stare all day or are you actually planning on attacking, Kenobi?" She knew her antagonising never really worked out in her favour, but never could quite help herself from doing it regardless. The smirk that twitched at Obi-Wan's face as a result was enough reason to do it, and he didn't hesitate to ignite his own blue blade and rush forward.

He held none of his strength back when their lightsabers collided, pushing her back with the force of his swing until Lyra had to jump to the side to avoid the blow that pressed past her hands. Obi-Wan had always been stronger than her physically, most people were. But it had never stopped her in outmatching her opponents in other elements. Master Yoda had reminded her that strength and size were not the only variables that would win a fight.

Agility, speed, and persistence were Lyra's ally, and she used them when she flipped herself over Obi-Wan's head to land behind him to swing at him anew.

He easily stopped her blade in its tracks with his own when he turned his upper body in time, grinning down at her "Impressive, you're getting faster" Obi-Wan commented before pushing her hard enough to make her take several steps back with a huff.

Giving her blade an experimental spin at her side, Lyra offered a confident shrug back at the older Jedi learner "What can I say, I guess my training is finally paying off" She was tempted to tease him about having Yoda as her Master, but couldn't bring herself to talk down on Qui-Gon. He too had become someone she highly respected, he was unlike any of the other Jedi Masters at the temple. Master Jinn had many odd and new views on the Jedi code, on the way the Force could be understood. Even if many disagreed or judged him for it, the man never once wavered in his belief. She respected him all the more for it, perhaps would even admit she was a little jealous when Obi-Wan had been picked to be his apprentice.