Chapter 17: The letter

Lorrie woke up from a kick in her tummy. She had felt it before, and when she went to the doctor, he told her that it was a bit soon for her, because it was her first pregnancy, but the baby was perfectly fine. She had found out that it would be a girl. It made her happy as much as it made her nervous to have a little girl in the house in about four months. Her mother was very supportive about it, because she knew that her daughter was a good girl and that was just a false step. Little did she know that her little girl had actually fallen for Victor. The fact that he was such a jerk about this issue, made her more compassionate with Lorrie. Her father on the other hand was not very happy about it. But when his wife talked to him, he finally saw the whole situation with another view. They were a great couple.

        Her cell phone was on the desk where she had slept more times than she had slept on her bed until last year. She used to stay up all night, even on school nights and write songs. But after the tenth time she had fallen asleep in the class, and got suspended three times, she finally decided to never sleep again on her desk. She went in the bathroom and brushed her teeth. Then she had a bath and put on some relaxing clothes. She dialed her best friend and while she waited for her to answer, she took her hair on a nice pony tail.

"Hello?", she heard Scarlett on the other line.

"Good morning sunshine!", Lorrie said cheerfully.

"Morning.", she answered.

"Whoaaa, what was that?"

"What was what?"

"Is something going on?"

"Yes."

"Do you want to tell me?"

"Aaron has gotten into a sanitarium."

"Oh God, this is horrible."

"Yes.."

"Do you wanna talk about it?"

"I'd rather not."

"Okay. Are you in the mood to do anything today?"

"I don't think so. Thanks anyway."

"Sure. If you need anything, call me whenever you want, okay?"

"Okay, bye Lorrie."

"Bye darling.", Lorrie said and hung up.

        She logged in to her Facebook account and scrolled down the news feed for several minutes, before she called Theo, Peter and Alfie to tell them to meet up with her, because she was bored. Lorrie didn't know how to have fun without Scarlett. She had been best friends with Theodore since she could remember herself, but she had never felt the feeling she felt when she first hung out with Scarlett. Although Theodore knew her more years and maybe he knew her a bit more than Scarlett, Lorrie knew that every time she had a problem, Scarlett would be the first to know and the first to help her friend. 

        Meanwhile, Scarlett was lying on her bed looking at the ceiling. That ceiling had seen every sad and miserable face Scarlett had. She opened the window and looked at the street. Then she lighted a cigarette and sat there. The drunk pigeon was staring at her silently. Even the bird knew that there was something bothering her. A tear escaped her left eye, but she quickly wiped it. She never liked crying. She always thought that crying was for the weak. But according to Lorrie, tears weren't a sign of weakness. Scarlett was too selfish to understand that. Her room's door was closed, but she could still hear to her mother doing something downstairs. Then the door bell rang. And after that, a knock on her door.

"Yes?", she answered.

"It's Peter. Can I come in?", said a voice behind the door.

"Yes."