(10) May I Have You Forever?

With not much time to plan it, Alice was correct. She could plan the wedding and she had the details all squared away by nine that morning. Court and Erin agreed that she had done a terrific job and for that reason were glad that they let (okay, so they didn't have much of a choice) her take over the arrangements.

The intimate service would take place at Alice and Steven's home in the Marina District, which happened to be one of the wealthiest districts in San Francisco. With Steven's profitable mortgage company, the couple could easily afford to live there and had for the past sixteen years. Their two-story home, which afforded a premium view of the San Francisco Bay, had five bedrooms and four baths. Within thirty feet of an Olympic sized pool in the back of the home stood a one-story guesthouse. Instead of renting a hotel suite for the night, that was where Court and Erin would stay. Both loved the idea. Although they would still be on Alice and Steven's property, residing in the guesthouse would give them privacy. Plus, the couple promised to let them enjoy their wedding night by not intruding until breakfast the next morning.

The small ceremony was to be performed at 4:00 by the Reverend Wendy Manning under a Victorian style gazebo in the garden area of the Tucker home. Those on the guest list were their dearest friends, as well as Nancy, Tamara, and Erin's immediate relatives. Receiving their invitations via the telephone, they were quite happy to hear of the impromptu wedding. After the ceremony, the party was to head into the main house where caterers would serve them dinner. Unbeknownst to anyone but them, Alice and Steven had bought gifts for the couple to be remarried and Keisha since it was her birthday.

By 4:00 that afternoon, semi-formally dressed guests were seated in chairs placed about eight feet from the gazebo. Music recorded on a CD started to play as both a wedding videographer and photographer captured first Alice walking Court down the short aisle and then Steven strolling along with his daughter, looking every bit the proud father. Ascending the three steps leading under the gazebo, Court and Erin stood before Reverend Manning, who smiled at them both. Having practiced with them earlier, the reverend knew that they were ready to proceed with the ceremony. She detected a hint of nervousness from them, but that was normal. Even couples just renewing their vows were often somewhat nervous.

Looking out toward the small crowd, the reverend spoke in a rich voice that carried through the garden. "Welcome friends and family of Courtney and Erin. We have gathered here today to witness and celebrate in the joining of these two women, whose hearts and spirits are entwined as one. They have chosen to profess before us their intention to from this day forward walk the road of life united.

"We are thankful for the miracle of love and that Courtney and Erin's hearts have been brought together as one with love. Love is patient and love is kind. Love is not jealous nor is it boastful. It isn't proud or self-seeking. It is not easily angered. It does not rejoice in wrongs, but rejoices in the rights. Love believes all things and endures all things. Love never ends. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, and always perseveres.

"On this day, you are here to start the weave of your lives together with the golden threads of love, hope, and commitment. On this day you both will make a promise to share not only the happy moments, but sad ones as well. You will promise to share life's joys and sorrows and its riches and hardships. Your commitment is to each other, to be partners in life, helping each other to be stronger, wiser and a best friend."

Glancing between the couple, the reverend asked, "Courtney and Erin, are you now ready to seal your lifelong commitment to one another?" After hearing two softly uttered positive responses, she continued while looking toward Courtney. "Courtney, do you take Erin to be your partner in life? To love, honor and cherish her through sickness and in health, through good times and bad for as long as you both shall live?"