[3] I HATE THAT DAMN BIRD

After a long morning tending to the fields, there's nothing more Kita Shinsuke wants to do than eat some good food and watch some light entertainment. With a long sigh, he sits down on the floor, gives thanks for his meal, and digs in before opening up his laptop and clicking the internet browser icon. He doesn't have to search long to find what he's looking for, since it's trending across all forms of social media, news outlets, and websites. When he follows the link he finds on the company website of the game's creators, he sees a livestream being broadcasted of your gameplay.

Each crew has a different screen, and, upon seeing a vehicle flying madly through what looked like a desert on one of them, he clicks on it to enlarge it. Doing this brings him to the realization that a former teammate of his is driving wildly, terrifying everyone in the car aside from one, peaceful man sitting in the back alongside an old friend of his.

He chuckles to himself at the predictable, yet hilarious scene. "Ah, (f/n)," he sighs, "Shoulda known better than to let 'im drive."

========================

Once Atsumu's chaotic driving comes to an end, you're so disoriented that you nearly fall out of the car. Sakusa's forgotten what it's like to be still. Hirugami whistles a carefree tune and saunters along the sand, eager to sniff out the place you've reached for any signs of trouble.

"Kiyoomi... Sachirou..." you mutter from where you sit on a rock, contemplating the life decisions that have led you to this point, "Next time, we can ride together and 'Tsumu can go by himself. Agreed?"

They both nod, making Atsumu complain, "Hey, it wasn't that bad! I'm jus' tryna spice things up 'round here!"

"You're gonna be the death of me."

Your friend rolls his honey-colored eyes in response before you join him and Sakusa to walk over to where Hirugami stands a few feet away, staring off into the distance. The location you've been led to is near a cluster of rock formations, but something around the side of them makes the tall man's soft, brown eyes open wide in awe.

Ahead of you is a clearing that had been completely obscured by the massive, red rocks surrounding it. A large body of water glimmers invitingly in the sunlight from the center of a town that, as Gen had explained, is now abandoned. Vibrant orange, golden, and blue houses of varying shapes, styles, and sizes sit peacefully along the paved network of roads that are now shrouded beneath layers of sand. Straight ahead, past all the buildings, a gently flowing waterfall spills over the tops of the rocks, painting them a deeper shade of crimson.

"This place looks pretty cool," you praise, "I mean, it's kinda creepy knowing that it's empty, though."

Atsumu wiggles his fingers in front of your face and whispers, "Or, is it?"

His attempt at being spooky falls flat on its face. Ignoring your friend's stupidity, you turn to Sakusa to suggest, "Why don't you check it out, Scout?"

Grabbing the sniper strapped to his back in the holster around his chest--which you can't deny he looks pretty good while wearing--Sakusa examines the rifle itself before lifting the sights to his eye. For someone who had seemed so unwilling to be there and clueless as to how to play any type of video game, he's holding the weapon like a seasoned professional. It makes your heart pound in your chest for a moment, but also raises an important question.

"Should I be worried that he's so good at handling a sniper rifle after just one, little tutorial?" you wonder, (e/c) gaze darting between Hirugami and Atsumu.

A loud shot ringing through the air that sends chills down your spine, makes Atsumu bristle, and even causes Hirugami's eyes to widen with surprise brings your attention back to Sakusa. Lowering his weapon and running a hand through his black waves of hair, he states, "My finger slipped." He hardly appears rattled, though.