ii. the first blossom

Spring, spring, my most awaited spring.

The first day of class was best to start during the spring days.

Winter had gone, no more grey clouds dominating the great skies and the trees that went bare had regained its full-bloomed beauty once again. On this spring day, the flowers colored my world, looking forward to the warmer days to come—the happiness that was only seen in the brilliant shades.

As I walked to reach the school, I let my eyes pictured every tree, treasuring the greens and pinks in my mind.

I was too thrilled! The best way to start the school year! Spring is the best!

Soon, I reached the school grounds: the Itachiyama Academy. It was an expensive school for a peasant like me, but I managed to find solutions—through scholarship and doing part-time jobs secretly.

To graduate in the Itachiyama Academy was one of my goals, and no matter what, I have to achieve it. Today was the start of my second year, two more years to go!

Awright!! I need to get motivated!

I then rush to my designated classroom—class 2-4, a college preparatory class. It doesn't really mean that I'm smart, I'm just awesome.

Once I was inside the room, most of my classmates weren't still here, but I was greeted by those who were present. I checked where my seat first on the name list pinned on the bulletin board. While walking between the aisles, I heard a classmate of mine talking to my other classmate.

"Hey, have you heard? The school has agreed to take down the cherry blossoms trees in exchange of money . . ."

Before someone could respond, I had already done it!

"WHAT?!" I exclaimed. It felt like my ears flared upon hearing it. I marched towards her, Kosugi-san, that quick. "Is that true?"

"Oh?" She was seemed surprised. "Nakano-san, g'morning!" I nodded as I gave her a look to explain it to me. "Yes, the news was announced on the TV this morning. For road widening, they say."

"But that's against the Environmental Codes! They can't just do that!"

"Right, right!" My other classmate, Takahashi-san, agreed. "Especially that the air pollution in Tokyo is high."

Taking down the cherry blossom trees? Didn't they know that they were compromising the future just because of their greed for money? That's bullshit!

"I . . ." I exhaled, balling my fists. "I'll go talk to the director of this school."

"But the opening ceremony will start in a few."

Tsk.

"Then, after the ceremony," I told them and went back to my seat.

To think that my beautiful morning would be ruined by that ludicrous news. I can't let them do that, not on my watch.

I inhaled, then exhaled. I had to remain calm, so that I could think straight. There were a few possible things to do, only if I had a strong connection.

My eyes were cast low, then noticed a pair of shoes down. The size of its feet was easy to recognize.

"'Sup, Yerina!" A bubbly approach of someone. As I panned my head up, he greeted, "Good morning!"

I smiled, "Good morning, Motoya!" Then I noticed that he got here in this class not being accompanied by someone, and the answer was very obvious. "That wuss is chickening out again, yeah?"