Chapter 3: Hero's Welcome

Dia

A pair of what seemed to be owls rested on the treetops of the garden outside our veranda, hooting loudly, just enough to wake me up. I stretched a bit in order to warm myself up, sitting up to check if anything important happened.

I glanced around the room, realizing that Shan was nowhere to be found but before I could get out of bed, a flash of green light shone from our veranda accompanied by Shan's terrified scream.

I bolted up, quickly running to our veranda only to find Shan on the floor, wincing in pain as she rubbed the back of her head to probably ease the pain. She chuckled sheepishly but I simply shot her an angry look.

"What happened Shan? What were you doing earlier?" I said in a cold tone while Shan looked away nervously, trying to avoid my stare. "I...I was practicing magic from a spell book when I saw what seemed to be an owl. I was startled by their big yellow eyes that shined back when my light spell illuminated them." She replied in an apologetic tone. Her deep blue eyes looking right at me with a small blush on her face. If Ron were here, he would've loved this.

I kneeled on the floor, getting to Shan's level. She looked at me with a confused expression and before she could even react, I quickly moved my hand to her forehead, flicking it with all my strength.

Shan let out a pained cry, clutching her forehead which would probably have a red mark now. I snickered at her reaction while she gazed me with a betrayed expression. She was adorable.

"If you really want me to forgive you, we can read and study magic together." I said, holding out my hand to her with my lips curving into a smile. She was someone precious that I wanted to be close with. After all, who'd look out for us girls, right?

She grabbed my hand with a smile so I helped her up. Her smile was so pure! Is this the feeling of being close with another girl?! She slowly distanced herself from me, brushing her hair to the side with her innocent smile being highlighted even more.

"Sure Dia, let's read together!" She said in a loud and cheery voice, running up to me as her arms wrapped around me in a hug. Uwaaah! So cute! I'm happy she's my friend!

The two of us walked over to the table, pulling the chairs out before sitting beside each other. The wilted flower was now standing up in full bloom. Its lovely blue light similar to the moon's, illuminated the small veranda. Shan opened the book while I read the different spells with her.

Shan flipped through the pages until we arrived at a page called basic spells. I scanned the page seeing different spells ranging from spells to light up a small wisp of magic to how to form different structures with the earth.

"This was the one I was practicing..." Shan said with a weak voice, pointing at the spell that allows the caster to generate a small wisp of magic that will act as a light source in the dark.

"Let me try it out." I said, smiling at Shan, taking the book away from her hands. I placed the book on the table to read the instructions on how to cast magic. Upon reading it, I found that it requires Mana. Basing it off on video games I played, it's probably the essence inside of people that allows us to cast magic, or even live for that matter. I scanned it repeatedly until I remembered the basic steps. After that, I steeled myself in order to cast my first spell

Step 1: Hold out your hand, if you're new to magic, open your palm and take a few breaths

I held out my hand, opening up my palm as I felt the air get tingly all of a sudden. My heart was racing but the other parts of my body seemed calm, like they knew what to do. I breathed in a few times, focusing myself as I proceeded to the next step.