Chapter 6

As the sun rose, Aria tossed and turned in the uncomfortable bunk bed in the jail cell. She hardly slept at all in the night, all she could think about was how she let Poppy and Branch down. But most of all, she was missing Echo. Echo couldn't reach Aria without the necklace around her neck. And if Aria couldn't reach Echo, she couldn't reach her soul.

Over the time that Aria was in the cell, the trolls would take turns guarding the cell. Hickory and Dickory were the first to guard the cell. Hickory however, couldn't help but feel sorry for Aria. He was so enchanted by her magic and she seemed like such a nice troll.

"If I'm going to be stuck here guarding this cell, then I might as well practice my beautiful yodeling!" Dickory chanted.

"Wait. Yodeling Trolls?" Aria was confused. "I didn't know there was a string for yodeling?"

"Pfft! Us yodeling trolls don't need some stupid string!" Dickory said. Aria just shrugged it off. While Dickory was yodeling. Hickory leaned against the jail door.

"Hey kid, how are you holding up?" Hickory asked Aria. She didn't respond. "Look, I know what it's like to have to do something for your tribe then have a change of heart." Hickory explained.

"Wait, how did you know about that?" Aria asked, only telling that to Poppy and Branch last night.

"Nothing goes unheard in this town without me knowing it." Hickory chuckled.

"My tribe didn't mean to harm you guys," Aria said. "We just needed your help and there was no other way to get you guys to listen to us. But you really have to help me now." Hickory was about to ask before Dickory butted in.

"Hickory! What are you doing talking to the prisoner?!" Dickory yelled.

"Sorry kid." Hickory apologized. Aria sighed as she sat back onto the bunk bed. She suddenly gripped her torso with her arms and winced in pain. It passed after a moment as she took a deep breath.

***

Later in the day, it was Branch's turn to guard the cell. He sat against the jail door and whittled some sticks, sharpening them to give them pointy tips.

 He sat against the jail door and whittled some sticks, sharpening them to give them pointy tips

While he did, he quietly sang to himself.

🎶You came out of nowhere and you cut through all the noise🎶

🎶I make sense to the madness when I listen to your voice🎶

He was singing a song about Poppy, and how she changed his life. How she always supported him through tough times or when he was feeling scared.

🎶Darling only you can ease my mind🎶

🎶Help me leave these lonely thoughts behind🎶

🎶When they pull me under, and I can feel my sanity start to unwind🎶

🎶Darling only you can ease my mind🎶