Chapter 10

Branch sat at the trunk of the tree and rested his back against the hut that he and Poppy were kept in when they were tranquilized. His knees were folded into his chest and his head rested on top. Talking about lost loved ones overwhelmed Branch, it always did. That's why he kept to himself so much, so that he wouldn't feel like this when someone brought up the subject.

He thought about what Aria said, and looked up at the stars. His family was up there, but why couldn't they be here with him? Especially through his darkest moments.

Poppy swung down the tree with her hair and looked around frantically to find Branch. She had a feeling she knew why he was upset. Branch was a gruff and sarcastic troll on the outside, but when it came to his feelings, especially about his family, he was so sensitive. And Poppy knew it, so it was her job to be there for him when he needs her.

She caught sight of Branch sitting by the hut. She gently approached him, trying not to startle him. Poppy sat next to him and placed a gentle hand on his shoulder.

"Hey Branchie." Poppy said gently. Branch looked over at her and tried to smile, but it came out crooked. She could tell that something was wrong. "Are you alright?"

"Yeah," He whimpered. "I...I just got a little overwhelmed."

"Is it because we were talking about..." Poppy's words trailed off as she saw Branch tense. She didn't hesitate and hugged him tightly. "Oh Branch. I know you miss them."

"Why do I have to feel like this?" Branch sniffed. "It's been over twenty years since they..." Poppy gently stroked his back.

"Branch, it's okay to feel sad about them." Poppy assured. "It doesn't matter how long it's been." Poppy grabbed his cheeks in her hands and kissed his forehead. "And I promise I'll always be here for you when you feel like this. You will always have me." Poppy hugged him close.

"She's right, you know." A voice said from behind them as they turned to face it. It was Aria. "Grief may get easier to deal with along the line, but it never goes away completely." She said, kneeling down beside them. "It comes and goes. But it's perfectly okay to feel this way when it comes." Branch had never thought of it like that. He smiled at her, rubbing his eye. Branch hugged both Poppy and Aria, resting his head on their shoulders.

"You know, my mom always used to sing to me and Ash when we felt sad," Aria explained. "It always made us feel better. She was a Lost Troll, but she always had a song in her heart like you guys." She held her guardian gem in her hand and sung.

🎶You say 'what if I go crazy?'🎶

🎶I'll say 'that ain't gonna happen'🎶

🎶You say 'what if I get lost?'🎶

🎶I'll say 'you'll just find your way back'🎶

🎶And you say 'what if someone breaks my heart?'🎶

🎶I'll put it back together like I do🎶

Aria's necklace glowed dimly and Echo nuzzled her body against Branch's face.

🎶You say 'what if I don't catch the dreams that I've been out there chasing?'🎶

🎶'What if when my fears show up, I'm too afraid to face them?'🎶

🎶Well I can't fight your battles🎶

🎶But I sure can hold your hand and promise you🎶

The three trolls looked up at the stars, where their loved one's were. Aria's mind flashed back to when her mom would sing to her and Ash. She used to sing the exact same song when Aria and Ash were growing up, it always made Aria feel like everything was going to be alright.