56

My guardian angel is finally working today.

I walk up to the counter and approach an older lady with salt and pepper. She also has a kind smile. A friendly face, is just what I need to see today.

"Hi, I'm new to the area. I was wondering if there was a bus or a train station, anywhere near by?"

"Yeah, there's a greyhound station about 20 miles away." She tells me. "Are you ok dear?"

"I will be. I just need to get home. Is there any way I could use your phone and call a cab?"

"Of course sweetie." She pulls a phone from under the counter and hands it to me.

"Thank you..." I stop. "You wouldn't happen to have a number, would you?"

She pulls out a phone book and looks me up a number before handing to me. I thank her and order a cab. When I ask the lady for the address she takes the phone and gives it to the guy on the phone.

I think about trying to call Dinah, but I don't know how she would feel about a long distance phone call on her bill.

I'll call her as soon as I get out of this town and as far away I can. I keep waiting for Derrick to pop up any second. Even though, I'm pretty sure he's passed out for the night.

"Thank you so much." I tell her.

"Why don't you get yourself a drink, on me. You look exhausted. And that can't be good for the baby."

"Thanks. It's just been a long day." I tell her.

It's been a long 3 months.

I get a bottle of water, which I pay her for.

"What are you having?" She asks me.

"I don't know yet." I sigh. I'm not ready to tell a total stranger what happened to me. "We want it as a surprise." I smile at her. Trying to act believable.

A honk comes from outside the store, "I believe that's your cab sweetie. Good luck to you." She tells me squeezing my hand. Maybe she can tell not everything is well.

I haven't looked in a mirror today, I'm sure it's written all over my face.

"Thank you for all your help." I tell her before getting to the cab. I need to get out of here. And fast.