Chapter 30*

DARWIN

Monday, March 26, 2018

"An abandoned ship?" Thomas repeated.

"The Abandoned Ship," I said, shifting my bookbag in my lap. "It's a regional preserve for aquatic Pokémon, about fifty miles off the coast of Petalburg City. It's like the Water Safari, apparently — you can catch Pokémon there, but for way cheaper, and during off season too."

"Great. What's that got to do with me?"

I shifted uncomfortably, and Grandpa Jon leaned over and said, "Join us, Thomas. I'll pay the fee for the ferry, and your scuba gear."

Thomas swore under his breath, and I felt guilty, and not just because I'd forgotten to tell him that Grandpa Jon was on the call. He was also on speaker phone — sure, the outgoing bus taking us back to Petalburg City was semi-empty, and the few passengers there were had in headphones or were otherwise preoccupied, but I hated being that asshole. Still, it was the only way for both me and Grandpa Jon to talk to Thomas at the same time.

I made a mental note to take Thomas up on his advice, and investigate upgrading to a phone that had a headphone jack.

"I'm not interested in you taking me anywhere else ever again, old man," Thomas hissed. "I'm not spending another two days in quarantine when I accidentally discover the fairy kingdom or the existence of vampires."

I winced, and Grandpa Jon took a furtive breath. "Thomas, I've already apologized for that many times," he said calmly. "And trust me, my intentions are innocent. I want you to accompany us to help the both of you settle into your new...extracurricular activities."

"That so?" Thomas growled.

"Indeed. You heard Mr. Munoz when you did the paperwork, didn't you? Joining our organization entails more than simply signing your name and saying you'll do it. There are requirements."

"F*ck you, and your requirements. I didn't sign up for this sh*t."

"I'm aware," Grandpa Jon said tiredly. "But the deed is done, and now you must comply."

"Or else?"

"Berechiah."

A chill went through the silence that followed, and I almost wanted to laugh — me, Thomas, falling silent at the name of a guy — a...merman — who I'd last seen wearing a polka-dot turtleneck and cowboy boots. But there it was, and that made the whole thing even more hysterical.

"Having said that," my grandfather continued, "this is a good opportunity for you to accrue some volunteer hours with the organization. That would look good on a resume. And you get to go to a new place, see new things, do a bit of summer traveling. I would say the good outweighs the bad here, wouldn't you?"

We waited for a response and got none — after a shocked second I realized that Thomas had hung up. "Sorry," I muttered, "I'll call him back." And I did, twice, but no response. "Sorry," I said again.

"Don't be, son." Grandpa Jon leaned back, fingers tapping against his cane — I noticed he had three rings on today: a wedding band, a graduation ring, and another one that had a blue-green gem set in the middle. "I expected this, and I don't fault him for it. He's having a hell of a time, the both of you are."

He had no idea. "He'll come around," I said, but even I sounded unconvinced. I was sure that Thomas had made peace with this sh*tty situation today at lunch, yet over the phone he'd sounded hugely pissed off. The guy was a seesaw.

He gave me a sidelong glance. "And you?" he asked softly.

I shrugged. I felt much calmer now that I was out of the suffocating confines of school, talking with him about things that mattered, and things were becoming clearer: No choice. Life was picking up speed, and I had to hang on or else be thrown off, queasy as it made me.