21 | sacrifice

21 | SACRIFICE

Yara huffed and pulled her lightsaber out as she watched Rey approach Palpatine

Yara huffed and pulled her lightsaber out as she watched Rey approach Palpatine. He wanted her to kill him, so he could live on in her as she took on the throne as Empress Palpatine. "No!!!" Yara screamed as she ran up to Rey.

Rey shot her head around, her saber already unsheathed and only a foot away from her grandfather's throat. Yara couldn't let this happen, Rey couldn't go to the dark side. Yara felt the spirt of her grandmother possess her, and she knew she needed to fulfil her legacy and end the Sith. She now realized that they were the true evil of the universe. Rey's eyes locked onto Yara's and they knew what they had to do. Rey shot her a curt nod and Yara gulped, charging at Palpatine. He reached out his hand to stop Yara with his electrifying power. But, it was too late. He had unleashed Yara's full power, she lifted his battalion from ashes right there on Exegol, she could bury them.

As he used the Force to push Yara back, she gritted her teeth and pushed back. Slowly, she took a step and forced her way up to the Emporer. He managed to fling her lightsaber away, but she didn't worry. Once she got close enough, Rey tossed her blue lightsaber--the lightsaber of Luke Skywalker--and Yara caught it. Within milliseconds, Yara powered the blade and watched it travel up his skull. She felt a surge of dark energy leave his corpse, and Yara dropped to her knees alongside the body that sagged to the ground.

She hadn't felt the effect of Palpatine's overwhelmingly strong power against her small frame until after she managed to kill him. Rey hurried to her side to make sure she was still alive. Yara grunted in pain. Tears rolled down her face as she watched the ships destroy each other. Her hand reached up to wipe away the tears, but when she pulled it away, she saw that they were not tears but blood seeping out of her eyes.

Yara thought she was officially dead when she saw Kylo's face hovering over her. She knitted her brows at him, her face softening as she recognized him. "Ben?" She whispered out.

His tears dripped down his chin and onto her neck. They were awfully warm. He placed his hand on her cheek and let out a thrilling cry. He lifted her up against him. "I'm right here," he repeated over and over to her. He wasn't dead. Rey had saved him back on that moon after they both sensed his mother's death.

"I'm sorry," her lower lip trembled as blackness began to consume her vision.

He hushed her and continued to rock her in his arms. She could sense she was forgiven, she had given her life to save Rey. "I love you." She felt the end of her time arriving, and she knew she had to say it before it was too late. "For eternity." She managed to whisper out.

Shakily, he pressed a gentle kiss on her lips. "I love you, too."

But the fight wasn't over, if natural death couldn't take Palpatine, a simple lightsaber through the face wouldn't either. And with a dyad present, Palpatine exploited their presence in the room together to pull all of their power for himself. He restored his body and health, nearly killing both Kylo and Rey in the process. Yara watched in agony as Rey and Kylo were thrown to the floor and as Palpatine walked over to his throne, as if Yara hadn't just nearly slaughtered him. "My fortune astounds me. Just as I am in the last moments of my life, a dyad appears before me, allowing me to restore my life and my title as the true Emporer." He spoke menacingly.

Yara used every ounce of power she had in her to roll over to crawl toward her lightsaber. Centimeter by centimeter she moved, but it wasn't quick enough. She heard whispers of various strangers in her ears, she wondered if it were the Sith. But, they were encouraging words. Words of past Jedi who needed her to defeat their enemy. But, she was too weak. Not even the Force could help her at that point--she was nearly dead. Her eyes, which were slowly losing vision, darted over to Rey and Kylo--whom were nearly dead on the ground, too. Yet, in a better state that Yara. She knew in that exact moment, she needed Rey to defeat her grandfather.

So, as Palpatine was consumed in his own grandeur, Yara got close enough to grab the girl's hand to send her what little force she had left in her. "Be with her," she whispered out to the Force, telling them to pick the scavenger, not her.

And the Force listened. Though they had initially picked her, Yara sacrificed herself for Rey--once again--and felt her body sag to the ground one last time. That touch sucked her soul right out of her body and made her one with the Force to help Rey defeat Palpatine, which she did. Yara knew her faith in her would have paid off. Plus, she knew she was made to do this. This was her legacy as she was the grandchild of the Emporer.

Although she managed to kill the overwhelmingly powerful Sith, it took a toll on her and she died for a few seconds. Kylo did what was right, to do one last good thing in his life, and used the force to transfer his life to her--to save her--so she could continue the next generation of Jedi. He wasn't scared, though, because he knew Yara would be waiting for him on the other side--to greet him with open arms.