"Maybe It Wasn't Meant To Be"

Pain. That's all I felt. I stare at the photo in front of me with disbelief.

We have a child on the way.

I think. I rub my small bump, tears streaming down my face.

I thought we were going to fix things.

I throw the phone at the wall and fall to the floor.

It was all a lie.

I hear everyone run into my room screaming.

"Y/n? What's wrong? Is the baby coming?"

"Obviously not! She's only one month along!" I keep crying. The pain in my heart, almost unbearable.

Why?

Why wasn't I enough?

Why her?

Why can't I keep him happy?

I feel someone lift me up, hugging me to keep me standing. I know it's him.

"Why did you do it?" I ask.

"Do what?"

"Why did you cheat again?! Why are you always hurting me?! Why can't you just keep your goddamn promises!" I scream, pushing him away. He looks at me in shock and confusion.

"Y/n, I didn't cheat on you."

"Really?! Because according to the picture Celia just sent me, you and Cynthia got pretty close last night at Bryce's Bachelor Party!"

"Cynthia wasn't even there!"

"Yes she was. We saw her the second we walked into the bar and all agreed to avoid her, but you spent plenty of time in the bathroom. So tell me Mattia, did you cheat on y/n at my party?" Bryce says. Mattia scoffs.

"I didn't go near her! I was in the bathroom telling Maira goodnight over the phone!"

"That conversation lasted ten minutes Mattia!"

"And you were in the bathroom for thirty." Josh adds. Mattia looks at all of us in shock.

"You really think I cheated?" He asks. We all look at each other.

"There's no proof that you didn't bro." Kai says. Mattia lets out a hurt laugh.

"But I didn't! I would've told y/n the second I got home! Just like last time!"

"But this time you did it intentionally." Avani says.

"I didn't do it!" He yells.

"Mattia look, we get that you don't want to lose Maira again, but lying about this isn't making the situation any better." Roshaun says.

"I'm not lying!" He yells again. The entire group sighs.

"We'll let you guys talk." Jaden says. They all walk out and we stand in silence.

"Y/n I promise I didn't do it."

"How can I believe you Mattia?! Truly? You and Cynthia have a past! You were each other's first love-"

"That's not true! You were my first love! I was drugged the first time y/n! I did everything I had to, to get you back!"

"Mattia, there's proof that you did!"

"But, I said that I didn't!"

"How can I believe that?! How do I know you're telling me the truth?! I don't!"

"I wouldn't do that to you y/n! You mean everything to me!"

"You keep saying that Mattia, but you hurt me!"

"I didn't do anything! It was fucking Cynthia's best friend who convinced you of this shit! Why are you believing her over me?!"

"Because it's happened before Mattia!"

"That wasn't my fault! If that bimbo hadn't drugged me it would have never happened!"

"But it did!" I say, sobbing.

"It did happen! And it hurt me more than anything. I couldn't stop crying for months. I couldn't see your face or hear your name without completely breaking down. I fell in love with you and I hate that I can't let you go! You promised you would never let me get hurt again, but turned around and hurt me twice! I just want to be able to be in a happy relationship that doesn't end in me getting hurt all the time!" I yell, doing everything I can to avoid eye contact with the boy in front of me. We stand in silence for a while, crying.

"So what does this mean for us?" He asks.

"I don't think there can be an 'us' anymore."

"What is that supposed to mean?!"

"It means that we can be parents to our kids, but I don't think we can be together."

"But maybe once we figure things out-"

"I don't think we can be together, ever again."

"You can't be serious."

"These things keep happening Mattia. Don't you think the universe is trying to tell us something?"

"Like what?"

"We weren't supposed to be together. We keep breaking up and hurting each other."

"You can't actually believe that the universe is trying to break us up!"

"I can and I do. If we were supposed to be together, fate wouldn't be doing this to us!"

"Do you realize how crazy you sound right now?! I'm not gonna let some invisible force keep us apart! Fuck what the universe wants! I. Want. You." Mattia walks over and grabs my hands, staring straight into my teary eyes.

"Maybe it wasn't meant to be." I mumble, looking down. I feel him tense up.

"W-what?"

"Maybe we were never meant to be together. We might be soulmates, but maybe we were only ever meant to be platonic."

"Stop! I don't care what anyone tries to say, I'm in love with you! I didn't cheat and would never cheat, purposefully or of my own free will! You and I aren't platonic soulmates, we're soulmate soulmates! I will go to the ends of the earth to prove it to you, y/n!"

"Just stop! I think we should break up."

"No!"

"I've made up my mind Mattia. After this baby is born, we will co-parent. However, we will not be anything more than acquaintances. I refuse to let you hurt me again."

"Please don't do this."

"Get out of my room."

"Y/n-"

"Get out!" I scream. He sighs and walks towards the door, grabbing the handle and turning around.

"We aren't platonic, y/n. Believe what you want, but by the time that baby is born, we will be back together. I can promise you that." He says. He walks out and I walk over grabbing my phone.

I don't want us to be platonic.