Chapter 1

CHAPTER 1

I pulled my hair up into a ponytail, then tossed the bacon onto the frying pan. It started sizzling and my mind drifted off.

It had been a week since my dream, or what I hoped was a dream. I didn't want anything more than having Avery back, but it was all too weird. I remembered how I'd ended up in my bed, wondering where I was. My best friend Brandon had rushed into my room, he said I'd been screaming.

I shook my head, clearing the memory. I heard creaking in the hallway and knew it was Brandon before he got into the kitchen. He lived with my mom, dad, and me. His parents died in a car accident and he would have gone into foster care if I didn't do something. He was only 15 then, it's been two years since he moved in.

"What's for breakfast?" he asked me sleepily.

"What do you think?" I tlaughed.

He smiled and rolled his eyes. "It's the morning, okay?"

"Sit, the bacon will be ready in a minute," I told him, poking the bacon with my spatula.

He plopped down onto a stool and smiled at me. I loved his smile, so perfect. Whenever he smiled at me, I smiled right back.

When the bacon was ready, I put some on a plate and took it over to Brandon. He thanked me and kissed me on the forehead, like he did pretty much every morning.

"You're welcome," I relpied, ruffling his hair.

We were about as close as two friends could be, considering we lived together. He was like my brother since I didn't have one of my own. He treated me like a sister, I treated him like a brother.

I glanced at the clock, it was 9:00. My parents had been at work for a while now. My dad was a lawyer and my mom was a nurse. They both worked long hours and I couldn't understand how they functioned with so little sleep. I shuddered just thinking about it.

Brandon chewed his bacon loudly and did his weird eye twitch thing. He did it when he chewed something loudly. It was usually my bacon, considering I liked it crunchy. He liked it crunchy too, so it was okay if I made it like that. It was just that I liked it EXTRA crunchy. The crunch right before it gets burned. That was the only way I knew how to make it, and it was some good bacon.

I giggled to myself, covering my mouth with my hand.

"You laughing?" Brandon asked, looking up from his bacon.

"Maybe.." I said cautiously.

"Well then.." He put his bacon down slowly.

I leaned against the fridge, waiting.

""RAAGGHHHHH!" he said, lunging for me.

I screamed as he grabbed me and tickled me. I was VERY ticklish.

"STOP. IT. PLEASE." I gasped every time I could catch my breath before he started tickling again.

He laughed, I could feel him smiling even though I had my eyes closed. Then I slipped from his grip and fell on the floor. There was a loud thud.

"Are you okay?" Brandon asked. He came close and I could feel his breath on my face.

"BOO!" I screamed, making Brandon jump back.

He stood leaning on the counter as I stood up. "Well played," he said with his head down. "Well played." As he put his head up, I could tell he was making a weird face and I braced myself for the weirdness of it.

When he was facing me, I fell on the floor laughing so hard I couldn't breathe. His face was twisted in a weird way and his eyes were crossed. Not to mention one was twitching. He was an expert at weird faces, the only way to avoid not laughing was to not look at it. I remembered one time in class he had turned around to look at me, and his facial expression was so unusual, I fell off my stool laughing so hard I couldn't breathe. The teacher and everyone else in the classroom turned to look at me and I had been sent to the nurse because my science teacher thought I had some mental problem. I laughed even harder thinking about it.