Chapter 3

I felt something wet on my face and groaned. 

"Bear, must I ask you not to lick my face in the morning?"

"Who said it was Bear?" Brandon said.

"WHAT?" I screamed sitting up quickly and opening my eyes. I turned to see Brandon having a laughing fit on the floor. 

"THAT SCARED ME SO BAD," I giggled, chucking a pillow at him. Bear licked my face again. "Hey boy," I cooed. Even though I'd only had Bear for a few days, he was my baby. I cradled his fuzzy face in my hands stared into his big eyes.

"What about Brandon?" He widened his eyes and stared at me.

I leaned forward and kissed his nose. "Happy?" I asked him, smiling. Then I remembered Avery, he wanted me to talk to Brandon. I put my head down, thinking of a way to start.

"Brandon."

He looked up at me and I fell into his soft grey eyes. After a while of silence he said something first. 

"I've missed you. Talking to you, being with you. I wanted to tell Avery to lay off a bit but.."

"But what," I asked him, suddenly curious. 

"I saw how happy you were with him. Your face lit up and I just.. I couldn't take that away from you. I couldn't stand to see your face unsmiling. And it broke my heart when Avery died and your whole presence changed. You started drooping and giving blank expressions. But lately you've been happy again. I love seeing you like this again. It makes me the happiest guy in the world."

I put my head down and started thinking. I had been sad? I mean of course I was, Avery had died. But now I was happy? Was it because Avery was back? Because I could see him again? Or was it Brandon? Where was my happiness coming from? What would I tell Brandon?

"Thank you," I whispered, surprising myself. I leaned forward and hugged Brandon.

"Fo-For what?" He asked, he was surprised too.

"Everything." I replied.

He stared at me, his lips curved into a smile and his eyes smiled too. Tears filled his eyes and when one fell, I wiped it away and took it for myself. I cried. He cried.  We cried together.

"Can we just talk?" I asked him.

He nodded and went to get hot chocolate. Bear came into my room and lay next to me, laying his head on my knee. 

So the two of us, just the two and of us sat drinking hot chocolate, laughing, crying, talking.  Watching the snow fall outside my window, Bear's eyes filled with wonder.  Living the Christmas miracle I never thought would come.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The smell of coffee woke me up. I usually wouldn't wake up because of coffee, but it was special coffee. Avery coffee. I hopped out of my bed and hopped down the stairs. 

"Morning," I said cheerfully. 

"Hellooo," Avery replied. He handed me a warm cup of coffee. I walked over to the kitchen table and sat down, taking little sips. 

"Hey, you know how we both have two lives?" Avery asked me, getting himself a cup of coffee and sitting down in the chair across from me. 

"Mhm," I replied, taking another sip of coffee.

"Well in my other life, I met this girl..." He started.

I raised my eyebrows and looked up from my coffee. 

"And we went on a date, like you and Brandon. I just wanted you to know since you told me about Brandon."

I couldn't help but feel jealous even though I knew we couldn't be with each other like this forever. I wondered if Avery had been jealous when I'd told him about Brandon.

"Okay, that's fine," I smiled at him.

"Good," he said, smiling back.

"So, tell me about her."

"WELL," He started grinning. "Her name is Cassandra, I call her Cass. She has dark hair like yours, it's a bit longer though. Her eyes are hazel, but sometimes they turn brown. They're not quite light but they're not chocolate brown either. And they're sharper, while yours are soft. I sort of wish that her eyes were softer, I just love your eyes. They're so fresh."

"So are yours, fresh chocolate ice cream," I laughed. "With a hint of mint." 

He chuckled, shaking his head. "Well Raina, I've missed your eyes. Whenever I see the rain in my other world I think of you."

I mentally thanked my parents for naming me Raina, for my eyes.

"I wish you could meet Cass," Avery said sadly. He really liked her. I could tell. So what was going to happen to me?

I just smiled at him, wishing that he could live in my other world, so he could meet Bear. Oh Bear. That sweet abused dog with broken trust. Avery would love Bear.

"The thing is, if Cass is real, she's still never going to be able to replace you. I'll always have a spot in my heart for you Raina, always."

"I know, no one can replace you either. Ever. You're in my heart, forever and always."

I could see the happiness in his eyes and I wished that we could be together every day. I wished that everything was back to normal and Brandon was my best friend and Avery and I were still together. Because the truth was, I could never love Brandon like I loved Avery. It wasn't Brandon's fault, he was amazing, sweet, funny. And I was pretty sure I was falling in love with him, but how could I love him more than I loved Avery. Avery was.. Perfect. To me. I hated it when people thought something was perfect, but I couldn't help it. Avery was perfect in every way because I loved him so much. No one could ever replace him.

Could they?

I could only wait and see.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sorry, this isn't very long. I promise I'll make the next one better. I'll work on it whenever I can. I've been really busy lately. And since it took so long... There could be another person coming in. Just saying. Keep reading and voting. Thank you guys for reading. :D