Incipit Prologus

My dad liked to bring in the mail every morning before work. He'd sit at the kitchen table, and flip through it, while mum made him a coffee. Our dog, Brutus would sit by his feet, and he'd hum along to an old song, tapping his toes. It was a morning just like this when my letter arrived.
Now, all things should be prefaced by the fact that my mother was a witch. A very smart, and cunning witch. She was also beautiful, and on mornings such like these, where she would place dad's coffee on the table, and kiss his cheek and flutter her eyes that made me wish I looked like her. (I looked much more like my dad, who was gruff and a bit punk rock, to say the least.)

Anyway, it was a morning like this, when my letter arrived. Sealed in stunning red wax and handwritten. A Hogwarts letter. My mother threw her arms around me, in glee, already knowing the contents of the letter. I broke the wax seal and began to read.

Dear Miss  Y/N L/N
We are pleased to inform you that you have been accepted at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Please find enclosed a list of all necessary books and equipment. Term begins on 1 September. We await your owl by no later than 31 July.
Yours sincerely,

Minerva McGonagall
Deputy Headmistress

My dad was proud. Mildly upset that he wouldn't be able to see me as often, or tell me about all the best music, as he often did, but proud nonetheless.
My mother was giddy, excited beyond belief. She read over everything I'd need to start school and started making plans to go get everything.
My dad reached to grab her hand reassuringly, "love, you've got plenty of time to think about this, it doesn't have to be right now."
"Oh, yes, right," she fussed, rushing back around to the kitchen to serve up a plate of breakfast for me. "Oh, my little girl."
"Love," My dad pressed.
"Right, sorry."