Sedecim

In the lead up to the Gryffindor v Hufflepuff Quidditch match, I found that I never ran into Marcus in the halls. Whether he was avoiding me, or it was some kind of absurd coincidence, I wasn't sure.
Oliver, however, had run into him four times, the last of which ending in a rather lame fistfight, where Marcus took one swing, and missed, breaking his hand against the wall.

"That puts him out at least for the afternoon," Oliver said, sitting down next to me, acting as if he had actually won a fight. He had not won anything, as far as I was concerned.
"You have better things to be caring about. Sincerity isn't your biggest problem right now," I told him, not looking away from my homework. "We've got Quidditch tomorrow, and you've been distracted."
He grumbled, "I'm aware, thank you, mum."
I rolled my eyes, continuing my essay on the music revolution in the seventies. Oliver shuffled closer to me, reading as I wrote. "Hey, Y/N. Can I listen to some of your music some time?"
"Yeah sure, stop distracting me."

The afternoon, I gave Oliver my Walkman, before joining Taylor in front of the fire.
"So," she said, with a soft smile. "Charms."
I nodded, shuffling closer to her, "yeah, Charms. Aguamenti specifically."
Taylor had never been perfect at Charms. She got things eventually, but it always took a few more tries than normal. Not to mention, she had to write everything down as she went.

I glanced up, across the quiet common room, to where Oliver was cramming Quidditch strategies.  His nose was almost touching the parchment, as he scribbled relentlessly.
Taylor laughed, "is he still 'just Oliver' to you?"
"Yeah, I mean. He's-" I swooned, "-he's just Oliver. And I wouldn't want him to be anything else."

~

It was the morning of the Quidditch match and the weather was beautiful. The team sat together at breakfast, like we always did, with Oliver on one side of me, and Harry on the other. He was almost as tall as me now, not that that was surprising to anyone.

Just as I was getting into a conversation with Alicia, I felt a tap on my shoulder. Turning, I noticed Percy standing in between the two tables. He was shockingly pale and was grabbing my arm with a decent amount of force, trying to drag me up from the table. 
"Woah hey!" Oliver gasped, wrenching Percy's grip away from me. I ignored Oliver's protectiveness and got up to follow Percy. 

We walked out of the Great Hall, and into a deserted classroom. After checking the door repeatedly for something, he turned around. "Have you seen Penny? I couldn't find her this morning, and I'm worried something might've happened."
"I'm sorry, Perce, I haven't." I bit my lip, automatically thinking the worst, but not saying it. I met his eyes. "She might be up at the library, or just taking a really long time to get to breakfast. She could already be at the pitch. I know she likes Quidditch... Look, I'll keep an eye out for her, ok?"
I think we both knew that I was telling a white lie, but nothing else was said.

In the change room, Angelina tied up my hair for me while I fiddled with my laces yet again. I was listening to Oliver's pre-match speech, occasionally glancing up at him as he pointed to the blackboard, or rested his leg up on the bench, or tossing his broom between his hands.
Angelina hit my shoulder. "Stop moving!"
I stopped. Oliver ended his speech so that he could get prepared, and a mulled chatter started up to replace it. The twins turned to me to ask about Percy, and I pushed Fred away with the end of my broom. George laughed, and went back to talking to his brother.
"Done!" Ange said, placing both hands on my shoulders. "Now you're free to move your head as much as you want."

I got up, and made my way over to Oliver, who was trying to maintain a relaxed appearance. Despite his steeled expression, I could see right through him. I rested my hand on his shoulder and turned him to face away from the rest of the team.
"You ok?" I asked, before glancing back over my shoulder to the rest of the team. They weren't paying us much attention.
"Yeah, just the usual nerves."
I met his eyes, holding the contact for as long as possible. Oliver knew that his nerves were redundant - and as such, I told him. It didn't settle him though. I knew that I didn't have much of a sway over his brain when it came to Quidditch. Giving him a reassuring smile and a soft squeeze to his shoulder, I spoke softly, "I think it's about time we head onto the pitch. You should give us one last pep talk."
He nodded.