Undecim

"Hey, Y/N!" Oliver smiled, walking up to me. "Doing anything important?"
"Kinda, yeah," I chuckled, glancing at him. "Halloween stuff."
I could see him nod out of the corner of my eye. He quickly filled me in on the twins plan to slip giggle water into Percy's drink. I frowned, already knowing this was a bad idea. Oliver seemed to agree with me. We both decided that we weren't going to stop them, though.
"Do you want to help again this year? McGonagall said I could ask you." I looked at him, properly this time. He shrugged, and said 'sure'.
Professor Flitwick had the pair of us helping him to charm the bats, a task that I found a lot easier than Oliver.

"It's set to storm tonight, so this will be really cool!" I said, more to myself, that anyone else. Oliver, who was always listening to me, agreed. But not before he sent a bat flying up the front of my shirt, and causing me to fall off the table with an atrocious thud.
"Oliver Wood!" McGonagall called across the hall, "If you can't show any restraint, I am going to have to ask you to leave."
"Sorry!" He turned to me, and offered a hand, which I gratefully took.
"You're getting better at this," I complemented, handing him back the bat. He smiled.

At the feast, Oliver and I sat with the twins. Maybe we saw ourselves as their protection from Percy, maybe they were just our friends.
Ron had taken to stuffing his face with potatoes and thick legs of meat. I had served myself up pasta, and the greatest multitude of roasted vegetables possible. Oliver had begrudgingly let me put a single slice of carrot onto his plate. I scolded him that, athletes need to eat all the food groups. He hated that I was right.
As the feast continued, (and I kept replacing the carrot slice every time Wood ate it) the four of us got talking. The upcoming Gryffindor x Slytherin match had us paying attention to Oliver. Well, more than usual.

The thunder cracked above us, as Oliver shoved the last slice of pumpkin pie into his mouth, while exiting the Great Hall.
I pulled his arm, as the Gryffindors collectively trudged up a flight of stairs and into a corridor. The people in front of me stopped, and I collided with them.
Stopping, I looked at what was causing such a commotion.

Harry, Ron and Hermione were standing in a large pooling of water, underneath a hanging Mrs Norris (Filch's cat.) Above her, written in bright red paint were the words: The Chamber of Secrets has been opened. Enemies of the heir... beware.
I pushed my way to the front of the group. "Harry!"
He spun to look at me, mouth agape.

Malfoy read aloud to himself, before turning to us, "You'll be next, mudbloods."
Michelle grabbed ahold of me, lest I cause yet another scene. I silently cursed.
Flich, and several other teachers pushed their way though the crowd, and soon seeing Harry, still separate from everyone else, Flich began to shout, "You killed my cat! you killed my cat!"

McGonagall made us head back to the common rooms, determined to get us out of the way while the 'adults' talked. The adults always seemed to include Harry.
It was hard to get the chatter to die down enough to send people to bed. Percy frowned at me from across the room. Knowing I had to take his feeling into consideration, I stood up.
"Give them tonight," I said, resting my hand on his shoulder. "They're all overly excited."
He grumbled, but didn't do anything.

Sitting back down, Oliver turned to me. "You know, Percy used to have a crush on you."
I sniggered, "his loss."
Oliver seemed to agree with me there.

~

It had taken less than a day for people to start asking me about the Chamber of Secrets. It was obvious that my knowledge of history meant that I would know about the chamber.
Oliver had been one of the first to come to me, and ask. He knew that I'd tell him, same way I let him copy my homework when he forgot to do it, and same way he could count on me for Quidditch.