The Ball (Part 4)

A/N - DISCLAIMER!!! ALL MY KNOWLEDGE OF TYPE ONE DIABETES IS BASED OF RESEARCH! IF I AM WRONG PLEASE TELL ME AND I'LL TRY TO FIX IT! I light of this I realize that I was wrong. John wouldn't need to administer the insulin himself per se. The glucose monitor would do that. I'm not sure how but if you know please, please, please dm me. I wanna be accurate about this.

Alexander's POV

   "Wait...YOU'RE THE HOT BARISTA!" I gasped loudly, John flushed red and Kitty snorted.
   "'Hot barista'?" 
   "It was her, not me!" I defended, pointing at Kitty.
   "Hey! Way to throw me under the bus." She huffed.
   "Um-...I'd hate to be a downer but I need sugar now." I mumbled.
   "We were about to set out dessert." 
   "Would that work?" I asked.
   "Yes, please." I smiled as Kitty handed me a slice chocolate cake. 
   "So why did you need sugar?"
   "Um-...Can we go somewhere else?" 
   "Uh...Outside by the gate. I'd say the gardens but they're off limits." We went outside and sat on a bench. John sighed and I looked at him expectantly. "So?" I asked, smiling. "Do you have that much of a sweet tooth or what?" 
   "No." He chuckled. "I'm type one diabetic." 
   "Huh?" I frowned, he chuckled and I bit my lip. 
   "My stupid pancreas can't make insulin." 
   "I'm still not following." I mumbled.
   "That's ok. Insulin is a hormone that breaks down glucose. Since my body can't produce it I have little monitor that gives me insulin every time I eat." 
   "Damn." I muttered. "That sucks." 
   "Yup, it doesn't help that I have a fear of needles. Occasionally I have to give myself extra insulin if my blood sugar gets too high." I giggled a bit and John smiled. 
   "So why do you need to eat? Wouldn't you have to-"
   "Not in this case." John smiled, he pulled out a small gray phone like thing with a clear tube running off it and showed it to me. "It's a glucose monitor. This tub is connected to this patch." He pulled up his shirt and I blushed as he showed me a little white patch on the left side of his stomach. "It receives signals from a sensor in my body."He gestured to a scar from where the sensor was put in surgically.  
   "Ow..." I mumbled, examining the scar. "So you're eating the cake to get your blood sugar up?" 
   "Yup, see look." He showed me the rising line on the screen as he ate and I smiled. 
   "Cool." 
   "Not really. It kinda sucks." 
   "Well, yeah. I meant the sensor thing."
   "Oh, yeah. I guess that is kinda cool. Until some bitch tries to steal it and pulls it out." 
   "Woah..."
   "Yeah, it can come off but a doctor has to do it. I hate sleeping, playing sports, anything that might get it yanked out." I smiled sympathetically. "Have you ever gotten your headphone cords stuck on a door knob?" I nodded. "I have perpetual fear of that." I giggled and John smiled. 
   "You're silly." 
   "A little." He smiled.
   "Hey, do you have siblings?" 
   "Four. Two of each." 
   "Wow." I giggled.
   "What about you?" 
   "Well, there's Gil but...he's not my real brother." I sighed. 
   "Oh?"
   "My brother and I were separated when I was thirteen." 
   "Do you miss him?" 
   "Everyday." I shivered a bit in the cool night air and John pulled his coat off, draping it across my shoulders. "Oh, no. You don't have to do that-"
   "Shut up and wear my jacket before you freeze to death." John grinned, I rolled my eyes and put my arms through the holes. I scooted closer to him for warmth and he smiled as I continued to watch his blood sugar. "Has it evened out yet?" John asked, leaning over. 
   "I think so." I turned the screen so he could see and smiled. 
   "Your Highness!" I flinched a bit and huffed.
   "Go away, Meade!" I groaned, John bit his lip as he looked over his shoulder at him. 
   "Your father is worried about you. It's freezing out here. You need to come in." I sighed and stood up, handing John his glucose monitor. 
   "Whatever you say, Dick." I grumbled, trudging back toward the door. 
   "You, Mr. Laurens, were invited as your father's plus one. Don't over stay your welcome." I came between them and glared at Meade.
   "Back off, Meade. He didn't do anything!"
   "Then why were you two alone?" 
   "I'm type one diabetic. I needed something to eat and a little quiet." John supplied, showing his silver medic alert bracelet. 
   "Fine. Inside, now." I sighed and made my way back inside. "Your father wants to speak with you." I huffed and John bit his lip.
   "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to-"
   "It's fine." I smiled, heading to the table at the foot of the stairs. 
   "Where have you been and who is that boy?" 
   "I was outside. His name is John."
   "So you chose a prince?"
   "He's not royal." I mumbled.
   "You know you can't-"
   "He's just a friend. If you ruin this for me I will not take the throne and you'll have to figure it out." I growled angrily, George sighed and pinched the bridge of his nose. "You've kept me locked up for six months! Just let me have this? ...Please?" 
   "Alright, alright." He sighed. "If he lays a finger on you-"
   "He won't. Besides, I can handle it." I hurried off and found John talking to Princess Peggy.
   "Oh my god. Did I get you in trouble? I'm sorry. I'm really sorry!" He gushed.
   "No, it's ok. Geo- My father just wanted to make sure I was ok." John nodded and let out a relieved sighed. 
   "Ok."
   "Hey, Peggy." 
   "Hi, Alex. Eliza really likes you. You're all she ever talked about during dinner." 
   "Oh..." I smiled awkwardly. "John, will you come with me to get some dessert?" 
   "Sure, Your Highness." He smirked, offering his hand. I giggled and took his hand, letting him lead me across the dance floor to the dessert table. 
   "Now...I'm about to get in trouble." 
   "Why?" John frowned.
   "Because this...is fucking amazing." I got a slice of cake, a couple cookies, a brownie, and a couple chocolate dipped strawberries. "See, there was a reason I didn't eat dinner." I grinned, John chuckled and we sat on a bench in the corner.