Chapter 8: Protect

The Xien Devilbats clubhouse is eerily quiet saved from Mari's occasional whimpers as Mamori treated her scraped knee. She was perched in Azrael's lap with Yuu holding her hand ever since they set foot at the clubhouse. It was his way to tell her that he is sorry that he left her, that this happened to her. Mari squeezed his hand to assure him, "I'm okay Nii."

Yuu smiled faintly, still being guilty not being able to protect his sister. He was supposed to be the big brother he thought. Azrael noticed his internal turmoil and ruffled his hair and smiled, "You did good Yuu."

Mamori just finished putting the band-aid at Mari's knee when the door of the clubhouse opened, revealing Deimon with serious looks on their faces. Except for Hiruma who had a poker face and a bleeding lip, Mamori and Azrael raised a brow.

"Daddy your lip is bleeding! Are you okay?!"

Everybody stared wide eyed as Mari wriggled her way out of Yuu's hold and Azrael's lap to come running to Hiruma. She had a worried look in her eyes and is about to cry as she looked up at her father while raising her hands trying to reach his face.

They knew. Hiruma thought, he knelt down so Mari can reach his face, "I'm fuc-I'm okay, just tripped."

"Mou! Why are you not being careful!" Mari scolded as she examined the cut on his lips with her small chubby hands. Hiruma bit his tongue to prevent himself from smiling. She looks like her mother. And he would not mind if she scolds him forever.

"Here." Another small chubby hand appeared holding a cotton ball soaked in alcohol. "And you don't need to hold back on cursing Dad, we're fine with it."

This time, Hiruma was not able to prevent that shit-eating grin as his hand went to ruffle Yuu's hair, with Mari grabbing the cotton ball and dabbing it to his lips not so gently while mumbling about being clumsy under her breath.

The rest of the Devilbats eyes softened at the little scene in front of them. But they've got a lot of questions running on their heads. As if sensing this, Mamori looked at Azrael. Mari just finished putting some ointment on Hiruma's lip when Azrael spoke, "Hey Mari, want to check out Kariya creapmpuffs?"

"REALLY? Let's go now Daddy L!" almost everyone in the clubhouse sweatdropped at the way Mari's eyes have changed at the mention of the sweet treat. She is definetly Mamori's daughter.

Mari threw her hands around Hiruma's neck and planted a small kiss at his cheek before grabbing Yuu and Azrael and is already heading for the door, squealing her goodbye "We will be back Mom and Dad and Uncles!"

Mamori chuckled, it's a good thing that she had seem to forget what had happened earlier. "Be safe."

Hiruma just regained his composure at the sudden peck from Mari, he hates physical contact but that one was an exception. He likes it.

When the trio was out of sight the air in the clubhouse immediately changed into a serious one, Mamori sighed, "Well, where should we start?"

Sena cleared his throat, "Are they yours and Hiruma-san"s--"

"Yes. Their names is Yuu and Mari. Twins. Three years old. We were both drunk that night of Christmas Bowl after-party. Things happened."

Monta and the rest of the younger Devilbats began fidgeting, they want to ask more questions. But the way Mamori is answering it nonchalantly makes them afraid to ask.

"They fucking know about me?" Hiruma asked suddenly.

"Of course."

"Why didn't you fucking tell me before?!" the Devilbats was startled at the sudden outburst of their Captain. They have never seen Hiruma with such genuine anger in his eyes. He felt betrayed, things would have been different if this information was known earlier. He could have not been stuck with Maki, he could have not hurt her.

Mamori raised a brow, "Do you remember the last words you told me the last time we saw each other in 3rd year?"

I don't need you anymore. So... get out of my fucking life.

"That's- oh fuck! You know this is a bit different.." Hiruma trailed off, he regretted everything that happened that day. Again, another new, the Devilbats looked at their Captain loss for words.

"Why leave Mamori? We could have helped you sort it out back then." Musashi suddenly said, seeing the regret flash in his friend's eye. He don't know what conversation Hiruma and Mamori had that day, but there is a little hope in his heart for his friend whom he saw how much regretted all things that happened in the past 4 years.

Mamori smiled a little, "I needed to do it. You know how much important is the team to me. I needed to protect you guys from myself."

"Protect us?" the younger Devilbats, even Kurita asked in unison. Mamori closed her eyes. "The day after I skipped practice, the news of Hiruma's girlfriend spread like wildfire in the whole Tokyo."

By this time, Hiruma tried to brush off his anger and listen to her. "If news broke out that I am pregnant with Hiruma's child, what do you think will happen?"

"U-uh, he will break up with Maki-san?" Sena guessed.

Mamori chuckled, "Wrong. A man, impregnated someone who is not his girlfriend even if it is consensual but under the influence of alcohol can be considered as sexual assault."

Collective gasps were heard, "You guys know that sexual assault can be grounds in disqualification of players right? And I'm not rational enough that time, with my anger. I can imagine how his enemies would do with that kind of information. I can't count the times I have been tempted to destroy Hiruma's football career. So I needed to go, I thought I just needed time to heal."

Hiruma felt like he had been slapped, "Why the fuck would you protect me after what I did to you-"

"You're not the one I was protecting. I saw how the Devilbats struggled without you when we faced the Dinosaurs. They'll hang in there but they will eventually break. I can't take away the sport they love so much." I can't take away the sport you genuinely loved so much.

Hiruma knew, despite the contradiction from her words. He knew what she meant.

The Devilbats realized how selfless Mamori had been for their sake, Sena clenched his fists, "Sorry Mamori-neechan."

"I don't need your sorry guys," the whole team looked at her and she grinned. "make it up to me, by winning the Rice Bowl."

The younger Devilbats found themselves smiling with Kurita bawling in happy tears, Musashi smirking and Hiruma saying, "Keh. We'll fucking kill them!"

"YA-HA!" shouted the rest of the team.

Hiruma caught the handsign Mamori gave when the brats started cheering. Let's talk, in private.