The Longer Walk Home

Jelsa Story

Jack x Elsa

~

Jack's POV

"I'm so excited about this lesson," Elsa told me as we walked home from school. This was something I was used to hear Elsa declare, and it was usually the time where I stopped listening.

"Mrs. Snow White made a very good point you know," Elsa continued excitedly, speaking a mile a minute. "Think about everything children miss out on when they're deprived of fairy tales! Oh, how terrible for them! Don't you feel just awful for them? Jackson, are you listening to me?"

Why can't she talk about something else?

"Yup," I lied. My attention was focused on an abandoned snail shell I was kicking along the sidewalk. "And I prefer Jack, Els."

"Can you imagine a childhood without knowing all those characters and places?' Elsa continued. "We're so fortunate that your Dad made such a point of reading them to us when we were little."

"Very lucky..." I nodded, although I wasn't actually sure what I was agreeing with.

Every day after school, we would walk home together. We lived in a charming neighborhood that was surrounded by more charming neighborhoods that were surrounded by another series of charming neighborhoods. It was a sea of suburbia, where each house was similar to the next but uniquely different at the same time.

To pass the time as we walked, Elsa would tell me everything on her mind: all her current thoughts and concerns, a summary of everything she had learned today, and what she planned to do as soon as we got home. This was so boring, and as much as this daily routine would annoy me, I knew I was the only person Elsa had to talk to besides the teachers, so I tried my best to listen. But listening had never been one of my hobbies. Though I wish we could spend more time having fun just like we used to back in our childhood.

"How am I ever going to decide which story to write about? It's too difficult to choose!" Elsa said, clapping her hands with excitement. "Which one are you going to write your paper on?"

"Um..." I said, whipping my head up from looking at the ground. I had to mentally rewind the conversation to remember what the question was.

"'The Adventures of Pinocchio'," I said, it was the only one I remembered right now.

"You can't choose that one," Elsa said, shaking her head. "That's the most obvious one! You have to select something more challenging to impress Mrs. Snow White. You should pick something with a message hidden deeper inside it, one that isn't so on-the-surface."

I sighed. It was always easier to just go along with Elsa instead of arguing with her, but sometimes it was unavoidable.

"Fine, I'll pick 'Tinker Bell'," I decided.

"Which one?" Elsa asked.

"Um... 'Tinker Bell and the Secret of the Wings' I guess, that's the only one I remember," I replied.

"Interesting selection,' Elsa said, intrigued. "What do you suppose the moral of that story is?"

"Don't do what you're not supposed to do, I guess," I answered.

Elsa grunted disapprovingly. "Be serious, Jack! That is not the moral of 'Tinker Bell and the Secret of the Wings'," she reprimanded.

"Sure it is," I explained. "If Tink didn't cross the border which separated her place and Periwinkle's place, then they wouldn't have met and so Tink, Fawn, Silvermist and all her other fairy friends that helped her wouldn't even make the ice shredder thingy because they haven't met Periwinkle in the cold border side so it won't make Pixie Hollow winter season time, then none of that would have had happened."