Chapter 5. Waiting to Exhale

"I can't believe your mom's helping you sneak around like that," Kristy remarked, shaking her head in awe. She lay spread across Raven's bed, wiggling her feet. Mike had recently started letting her come around again.

"It's not like that. She just remembers what it was like when she was young. Apparently, my grandpa didn't let her hang out with guys either."

Raven also got the impression Abby loved being in La Push just as much as she did. She always seemed excited on the drive out and cheerful and content on the way home. Raven thought perhaps Abby didn't like to be around Mike all that much herself.

"It seems like I hardly get to see you anymore," Kristy whined. "I finally get to come over and hang out, and you're always gone. Remember, guys will come and go, but your female friendships will last a lifetime."

Raven frowned, feeling guilty. It was true. Abby's regular La Push schedule was Wednesday afternoons and most of the day on Saturdays, which was fine by Raven. Plus, Jacob started coming by twice a week to take her jogging or just to hang out whenever Mike wouldn't be home, so there really was little time left for Kristy. "Maybe, you could come with me out to La Push sometime."

Kristy made a face and groaned, "I'd feel like a third wheel. Besides, hiking, biking, fishing, watching boring sports on television, and whatever else you two do doesn't sound anywhere near my idea of a good time."

"Then I feel sorry for you." Raven flipped her hair over her shoulder and turned up her nose arrogantly. "I guess you're not sophisticated enough to know what a good time is."

"Sheesh, if that's the case, I hope I never am." Kristy smirked.

"Jacob's going to take me to the Rec Center tomorrow. I'm kind of nervous, because the only person I've met so far is his dad and one of his friends. Seth."

"Is he hot?" Kristy jerked upright to a sitting position, going from bored to excited in a split second.

"He's pretty cute, I guess, but he's only like... fifteen or something."

"Oh." She plopped herself back down on the bed, staring up at the ceiling with her hands behind her head. "Let see, you've been hanging out with Jacob now, for what? Nearly a month and he hasn't kissed you?"

"No, he hasn't. Just on my cheek, and sometimes he kisses my hand. I just can't figure him out," Raven said, bewildered. "He puts his arm around me, and he holds my hand. But whenever I think he might kiss me, he just doesn't. It's almost as if he purposely stops himself, purposely changes the subject to something else."

"Or, someone else," Kristy suggested. "Maybe he's got a girlfriend somewhere. Are you sure you're not just a gal pal, Raven?"

"He better not!" The thought horrified her. "It has to be more than the friendship thing. He's always so happy to see me. I could see it plainly in his eyes. I talk to him every night, only because he wants me to call him every night. Even on the nights of the days I've already seen him."

"Weird! He sounds like one needy and strange puppy to me."

Raven ignored her, but Kristy's words weren't entirely baseless. Raven thought it odd Jacob generated so much body heat. She loved resting near him, especially when it was cold out, but she couldn't deny the irregularity of his body temperature. He rarely had his shirt on—a definite plus—although not at all normal, considering the general climate in the area. Sometimes, he even went without shoes. Whenever Raven asked him about it, he gave her some lame excuse about getting them wet or needing to give his feet a break. How could they get a break being exposed to the rough forest terrain? He even jogged that way sometimes, never breaking a sweat.