𝓟𝓻𝓸𝓵𝓸𝓰𝓾𝓮

You could have guess by now that my life has been shit. Nothing has been easy, especially when there are infected to deal with. Let's not forget that I was born in this world. You would think that I'd be used to it by now but no, you never get used to it. It's not like waking up to a bunch of presents sent to you by a fat man, as if that even exists or something. 

My name is (Y/n). I'm 10 and I've been travelling with my mom since I could handle a guy, which has been about 6 years now. My dad wasn't around anymore because he tried to protect my mom and me from a horde of infected. We had to leave him behind in order to survive. I still remember the day vividly. The sounds, the smells, and all the pain from both running and losing my only father. 

"Honey, come on." Mom called from the porch. "Okay." I said as I stood up from the steps and walked into the house. Mom just finished checking it to make sure it was clear. "Okay, there's a few cans of food we can eat but I couldn't find any more water." 

"Mom, we have enough water for now." I said as I pulled two out of my backpack and passed her one. "For now." She repeated my words and tossed a can of fruit at me. I barely caught it and we made our way upstairs to the main bedroom. "We sleep here tonight and tomorrow it's back on the road." I nodded and opened my can and immediately dug in.

It wasn't everyday that we find cans of fruit that we can eat. It was like gold. Well, that's the way my mom put it.  

After we ate we went to sleep. Nothing happened that whole day so I didn't think that anything was going to happen for the remainder but that's something we were proved wrong fast. 

Everything was silent before there was the sound of the windows breaking, one after another. The two of us jolted awake by the multiple sounds coming from downstairs and we grabbed our stuff. Mom went to open the door but was met with a horde of infected. She closed the door but a few arms stopped her from closing it all the way. 

"Mom!" I yelled. "Go!" 

"No!-" "Don't do this (Y/n)! You have to get out of here!" She struggled to keep the door relatively closed. "Go out the window, there's a river up north, go there, I'll be right behind you." Tears welled up in my eyes as I saw a few run down her face. "Mom." "GO NOW!!" I bit my lip and ran  for the window. I climbed out of it and jumped to the ground and ran north.

------------------------

Hours had passed and mom never showed up. The sun was high in the sky and I was still at the river. I stood up and looked in the direction I came. I sighed and started walking back to the house. She had to make it, right? 

The house looked disgusting now, all the windows broke and blood all over the place. Before, it was okay but now I know that no one would want to stay here. I carefully walked upstairs and went to the bedroom we were staying in. 

"Mom?" I called out but nothing. I looked around the room and saw all of her stuff. I grabbed her pistol and sat on the floor. She was gone. 

I put the pistol in my hoodie pocket and grabbed her bag. Doing so made me notice something shiny on the floor. I picked it up and saw that it was the necklace my mom always wore. I was a locket that had a picture of her, dad, and me. I tried my best to hold back my tears. The clasp on the necklace was broke so I put it in my pocket and decided to leave before any thing else happens.