𝓢𝓪𝓯𝓮

"(Y/n)." Joel called my name as he pointed his gun at the doctor. "Get Ellie." I gave a small nod and started my way towards her while putting my gun away. "I won't let you take her." The doctor said as he grabbed a knife from a table making me stop in my tracks. "This is our future. Think of all the lives we'll save." Without another thought Joel shot a bullet through the mans skull. 

I took that as my signal to rush to Ellie. "Hey Ellie." I said softly as I pulled the needle out of her arms and the oxygen mask off her face. "I'm sorry but we have to go." I put an arm under her legs and another on her back and lifted her off the table. "Oh, shit." Joel said as he looked at the door to see lights flashing. 

"This way." He led us to another door and pushed it open. 

With Joel leading the way we rushed to the elevators and got in without getting hurt. He pressed a button and the elevator started going down. I sighed in relief that we were safe. "Is she okay?" He asked as he leaned against the wall. "Yeah, she's fine." 

___________

"You can't save her." Marlene said as soon as we exited the elevator. She had a gun pointed at us. "Even if you get out of here, then what? How long before she's torn to pieces by a pack of clickers? That is if she hasn't been raped and murdered first. "

"That ain't for you to decide." Joel said as he got behind me. "It's what she'd want. And you both know it. Look... " She started moving her hands apart. "You can still do the right thing here. She won't feel anything." 

"How would you know? You're not the one going fucking under." I said as I glared at Marlene. "Just... trust me." 

____________

We sat in a truck driving down the highway in nothing but silence. Neither of us said a word as we waited on Ellie to wake up. "What the hell am I wearing?" Ellie asked gaining our attention. "Just take it easy... drugs are still wearing off." 

"What happened?" She asked. "We found the Fireflies." Joel said. "Turns out there's a whole lot more like you, Ellie. People that are immune. It's dozens actually." My thoughts went back to when we were in the parking garage of the hospital. When Joel shot Marlene from right behind me and an unconscious Ellie. "They've stopped looking for a cure. I'm taking us home." 

Ellie didn't say anything after that but by the shuffling anyone could tell she turned on her side. Most likely away from us. "I'm sorry." I said, barely over a whisper. 

_____________

"Well..." Joel said as he slammed the hood of the truck down. "Looks like we're walking." He said as he made his way over to us. Ellie jumped out of her seat and closed the door as I stood up from leaning on the truck. "Should be a straight shot through here." Joel spoke as he lead the way.

I started zoning out as I thought back to the hospital. We had so many choices we could have made. We could have changed everything with the cost of one life. But we both knew that we couldn't lose Ellie. 

And it was her voice that brought me back to earth. She told Joel and I her story of when she was bit for the first time. "Swear to me." She said out of nowhere. "Swear to me that everything that you said about the Fireflies is true." My heart stopped for a bit as she glanced between me and Joel. "I swear." Joel said. "(Y/n)." She looked me dead in the eyes. "I swear." I repeated Joel's words despite it not feeling right. "Okay." She said and we started our Journey again.

__________

It has been four months since then and I still feel the guilt for lying to Ellie but I have to suppress it every day. Every time I look at her. However, I'm glad I can see her every day. In fact, I'm on my way to see her right now. 

I marched my way up to the door of her and Joel's house. I knocked on the door and waited as I heard shuffling on the other side. "Hey." Ellie said as she opened the door. "Hey, um, so, uh, about that date..." I said nervously as I scratched the back of my head and watched as a smile grew on her face. "Wow, I've never seen you like this before." I was silent for a bit. "Well, what are we doing?" She asked and I remembered what was in my hands. "Oh, I found this movie a few days ago and thought you'd be interested in watching it." 

I handed the movie over to her. "It's called Zathura, it looks like it deals with space stuff so..." 

"Well come on." She opened the door wider and let me in. Leading me up to her room we put the movie in and sat down. 

I just hope in the future I'm not this nervous around her.