2: Cold

___

___

"𝑻𝒉𝒆 𝒂𝒓𝒓𝒂𝒏𝒈𝒆𝒎𝒆𝒏𝒕 𝒊𝒔 𝒔𝒖𝒅𝒅𝒆𝒏."

Your words are your luxury, one selective yet of quality, and Sanemi delved into them with an attentive gaze he have grown accustomed with you as he watched you stare at the oolong tea steaming in your hands.

"Our technique differs."

A wisp of air left your lips, and he might've stared a bit too hard on the way you opened them. 

At that moment, Sanemi didn't offer you his own exquisite words; but he sipped on his own drink with a poise that demanded respect. He is a hashira - one of the highest ranking in this organization you two shared - and as much as he wants to throw all that formality away; he have to keep it just to save face.

You gave the respect he deserves; with how you low you bow your head in his presence. But he knew, with a silent bitterness down his throat, he knew that respect is from his title alone, and not the person he is.

And silently, he's speculating just how - how can he break that thick exterior of yours that you carry to acknowledge the man in him that he wants you to see.

The stillness of the air was stretched, and the rustles of the blades of the leaves against each other stiffened the air between you. And Sanemi waited patiently, afraid he would speak over your voice, afraid that he might scare you away.

And when you spoke, it was with the most softest voice he'd ever heard... one that ensembles the hoot of an owl that leaves a haunting syllable in the space in his chest.

"Why go through the pain of training me?"

Your eyes might have looked guarded, far and away in their own musing. But it didn't escaped him how your fingers curled around your clay cup just a little tighter, creating shadows of doubt for his decision.

Along it, his heart pounded at the tone of whisper your carry along with the wind, because he too carries that doubt. But Sanemi would rather bury it in the ground than admit it as such.

He was given the option to tell you the half the grounded truth.

"I want to repay you for saving my life."

The wind hashira sipped on his tea, just to save face at almost having his words crack by the baritone that scratched his throat, and he noted how warmer and lifting the tea's taste is with you around.

It might have been because of the flavor of your company mixing well with the heated beverage - but he digress; he thinks it just have to do with the new pair of hands working for him in the kitchen.

Yet... the more he rolled the tinted water in his mouth, the more the bittersweet flavor leaves a certain memory in his tongue.

Sanemi's sharp eyes are still focused on you despite his body facing the estate garden before him, and he is tempted to shift his place so that he could just look at you properly. But he knew that is too forward of him, so he stayed still in seiza just as you are with yours.