[ 𝟬𝟭𝟰 ] breathe it in, run it out

tw the twins fight, misdirected anger

⭐️ ⌜ マリちゃん ⌟ ┈─❟

Mari blinks up at the ceiling, random thoughts flowing through her mind. What if there are a talking cat and fish? Or inanimate objects suddenly coming to life. What if it's aliens that have infiltrated Earth and made them look like us? And what if all of this is real, but we just don't know?

She lets out a breath she didn't know she was holding when the familiar sounds of her dog snoring on the ground. She shifts onto her back with a grin. She should probably do something, or at least get ready for daycare tomorrow morning.

Though her peace and sleep was interrupted by a rumble from her stomach. Floof immediately stands on guard, twirling around to see if there were intruders around the room. But Mari just laughs quietly and pets the dog on her head. "It's just my stomach," she whispers, scratching behind his ears. He lets out a quiet huff before curling himself up against Mari.

Sitting up from her bed, she stares at her door then at her dog who was looking up at her. "Let's go to the kitchen. I'm hungry for bread and milk!"

Floof barks.

***

Soft footsteps pad around the hallways of the home. Mari hums along a tune while Floof followed behind her with his ears alert and tail wagging happily for a midnight treat. There was no one else in the hallway at this time of night, not even the brothers who return home late.

That was odd.

Even more so when Mari and Floof's ears picked up on voices coming from the living room as they neared it. They were hushed, but there was definitely someone awake within it. She paused mid stride, wondering who would be up at this hour.

She heard Floof perk up next to her, his tail swishing back and forth excitedly. She peaked from the railings as her eyes darted over to the small sofa. She beamed at them. "Ah! You guys are awake!" Mari called out tentatively to Tsubaki, Azusa, and Ema, oblivious to the tension around them.

Tsubaki's head jerked upward, startled that someone had come to them during the middle of the night. Ema turned to face Mari with wide eyes, but Azusa stood frozen where he stood, staring intently at his younger sister in shock. The rest of them slowly came to life at Mari's voice.

Mari blinked, suddenly reminded why she was there. "Why're you guys all up?" she asked curiously, stepping fully into the living room after Floof and she joined the group. She could tell that everyone was tense from their body language, as well. "Ma-chii always tells me that a good sleep is needed to grow!" She then gasps, looking at them in genuine curiosity. "Were you all getting a snack too?!"