Chapter 5

--Hello, loves! I hope you enjoy this part. I apologize for Mr. Longbranch's death. I also am sorry for taking so long to write this book. I am not as active on Wattpad as I used to be. However, someone who is active, and amazing, is my 1st reader Zuko_Azulon! She has supplied me with a ship name for Vera and Jack: Vianna! Also, Sam and Alina are Salina. Estelle and Charlie are Ellie. Selena and Luke are not a couple, but they do have a history. Last, but not least, Liam and Cassie are Cam! Do you like these names? Enjoy the book! -Viviann246--

I stood there, shocked by the driver's sudden death. Jack leaned forward and closes his eyelids. I turn around slowly and take in the scene before me. Estelle checks in on everyone, First Aid Kit in hand. Charlie goes with her, somber. Liam and Cassie, who behind the driver, stumbled out of their seat. They stand next to us, looking at the driver. Cassie starts to cry and Liam silently comforts her. 

I realize that the base is still expecting us. I spin and see that the radio was damaged during the crash. It sat there smoking, static falling from the speakers. --well, can't use that anymore-- The phones have no service, and nobody has a pager. We have no way to contact the camp. Processing this, I realize we need some shelter until the camp sends a team to find us. --What about the tents in the hold?-- 

¨Jack.¨ I say softly.

¨Yes?¨ He replies

¨We need to put up the tents in the hold. Will you help me? The radio is broken, so we have to wait for the rescue team.¨ I explain the situation, and that I think we should make camp for the night. 

¨Okay, but we need to tell the others that.¨ He says.

¨Definitely.¨ I agree with a nod. We tell Cassie our plans, asking if they could spread the word throughout the bus. She agrees to help, Liam in tow. We take our side, and they take the other. Soon the whole bus knows of the situation. Everyone starts to gather their things. 

Jack reaches over me, grabbing our duffles from the overhead luggage compartment. I grab our backpacks and his blanket. I quickly fold it, and put it in his bag. We take one more look to make sure we have everything. Everyone else is exiting the bus from the back doors, because the front ones are jammed. Luke and Selena are out, and are helping Cassie down. Jack and I go to the back of the line, and are soon at the doors. 

Jack gets down and turns to help me. I accept his outstretched hand and clamber out of the vehicle. We go around the bus to the cargo hold, where the tents and other luggage is. Sam opens it, and we start to get the tents out. They are in bags, so it is easy. We soon have all of the tents lying on the ground beside the bus. There is 5 of them. Bright yellow, with white accents. 

There are some more things in the hold, so I pull them out. A large cooler, a smaller cooler, a duffle bag that belonged to the driver, and a battery operated Bunsen burner. --a Bunsen burner? Why?-- I scrunch my nose in confusion. Shrugging, I set it down next to the other items. Luke and Selena went to look for a spot to put up the tents a while ago, and by now, they are back. 

¨We found a clear spot not too far from the bus, but it is well protected from the wind.¨ Selena says. 

--Time Skip by McMurdo Station--

Soon we get there. Immediately, I start setting up the tent. Jack came to help me. The others start doing the same. We work in near silence, interrupted by little conversations here and there. I think everyone is still shocked by the driver's death. 

¨We have the tents... but who is going to tent together?¨ He asks me as we put on the last touches. 

I think about it. ¨I don't know... I think the others have not picked their tent-mates yet,  maybe we should ask their opinion.¨ I say uncertainly.