Chapter 4- Keep Your Distance

I headed to the cafeteria, looking around to see anyone I knew. Suddenly I saw a red haired girl a few steps ahead of me.

“Lily!” Suddenly Lily spun around and motioned for me to come over. 

“Hey, this is my friend Samantha.” A girl with a light brown hair and olive skin smiled over at me. 

“Hey I’m Autumn.” 

“Hi you can call me Sam. Nice to meet you, Lily told me a bit about you!”

“Good things I hope!” I said playfully, nudging Lily.

“Of course I did!”

We made our way into the caf, Lily spotted Harry sitting at a table near the window. We approached him and I realized that Louis and Niall sat beside him.

“Autumn!” The boys said in unison.

“Hey guys! Crazy seeing you here!” Lily, Sam and I set our stuff down and pulled out our lunch. We all caught up with each other, asking each other about classes. 

“Hey guys!” A voice shrieked behind me. Kristen. Her friends stood behind her with their trays of food in their hands. She smiled to everyone at the table, but slowly faded when she saw me. “I just wanted to let you guys know I’m having a party at my place this weekend, since my parents are out of town!” Kristen made eye contact with everyone accept me, she clearly didn’t want me there.

“Sounds great, we’ll be there!” Kristen flipped her hair over her shoulder and walked off. Everyone continued to talk. I turned to Lily.

“Does Kristen hate people for no reason?” I asked.

“She likes some people more than others, but I don’t think she hates anyone.”

“Because ever since I met her she’s been pretty brutal.”

“Kristen’s not the nicest when you first meet her, she usual is mean because you intimidate her.” I looked at Lily confused. “When I first met Kristen I thought she was a bitch to be honest, she kept giving me evil glares. It was when I became friends with the guys she acted like this. Suddenly it clicked, she likes being the center of attention and has a thing for them. She likes it because they make her feel special.” This made me remember the situation at the pizza parlor, when she made the boys buy her pizza.

“So she’s rude to me because I’m friends with them?”

“Well she doesn’t like it when she sees other girls with them, she feels like you’re taking the spotlight from her...it’s weird. Eventually she backed off when she realized I was only friends with the guys.”

“Isn’t that kinda selfish? I mean can’t she make up her mind who she likes instead of using all of them?” 

“I don’t know who she likes exactly, but the guys don’t really care. Kristen’s just a really big flirt that’s all.” Lily took a bite out of her apple. 

“Well I’m definitely keeping my distance.

It was almost the end of the day all I had left was French and then I was free. At least I could relax in French it was an easy subject for me since I was from Montreal. I took a seat near the back, hoping I could maybe get some rest in class. After taking out my pencil case and binder, he walked in. Zayn made his way towards me with a grin.

“Nice seeing you again.” He sat beside me.

“Yeah,” I could feel myself getting nervous again...why?

“You're lucky you know French, I suck!” 

“Then why did you take it?”

“Cause I thought it would be cool to learn another language, but I was wrong.”

“It’s not so bad once you get pass doing all the verbs and stuff.” I said with a hopeful smile on my face. 

French went by slowly, but I didn’t mind since I got to talk to Zayn most of the time. He had to ask me constantly to tell him what the teacher was saying, since she spoke French most of the class. 

“What the heck did she just say?” Zayn whispered to me trying to hold back the laughter. I leaned in so I didn’t have to speak too loud. 

“She said we have a test next thursday.”

“What? Please tell me you’re joking.”

“Wish I was better hit the books Malik.” I said playfully. The bell rung, finally I could go home. But a part of me didn’t want to leave, I wanted to continue to talk to Zayn. I was just about to leave but then I felt an hand grab my shoulder. 

“Autumn, can you give me your number so I can ask you any questions I have about French?” My heart picked up speed.

"Yeah sure!” I grabbed his phone and entered my number. I handed back to him he gave me a wink.

“Thanks! See you tomorrow.” With that he began to walk away. I headed the opposite direction a smile crept up on my face. I turned my head around to see him, but of course he was on the other side of the hallway with Kristen. 

After hanging out with Louis, Harry, and Lily for a bit after school I headed home. I threw my bag on my bed, and changed into something comfy. I put on some sweats and an oversized red sweater. I walked over to the kitchen and made myself a hot chocolate. My mom used to always used to cheer me up by making me hot chocolate. It instantly warmed my heart and put me in a good mood. Mine didn’t taste as good as hers for some reason, but I had to settle for it. I hopped on my bed and began to do some history homework, but I got distracted and went on my laptop instead. I saw that I had some friend requests from Louis, Lily, Harry, Niall, and others on FaceBook. However my face brightened when I saw that one of the requests were from Zayn. I accepted all of them of course. After finally finishing up my French and history homework I took a nap. 

I woke up to the sound of my door opening. 

“Autumn?” My dads voice filled the room.

“Hey dad sorry I fell asleep.” 

“Just wanted to check up on you.” I opened my eyes, but I couldn’t see him in the darkness. 

“What time is it?” 

“11:30, you should go back to bed.”

“Okay goodnight dad!” But all I heard was my door shut.