high school lovers

High school started up after a fun-filled summer of excitement and adventures. Things started off great. Yeosang and I had 4 classes together, and I had already made a couple upperclassmen friends. But unfortunately things didn't stay great.

Towards the end of September, a junior year football player named Lucas asked Brooke to Homecoming. Brooke knew that we were all supposed to go to Homecoming together as friends, so she asked Yeosang and I for our advice and permission. We told her it was ok, and that we could all still go together but that was our mistake.

She told Lucas yes and he spent homecoming with us. He wouldn't let her take pictures with us, and wouldn't join our group photo. He didn't really talk to us much, only to Brooke. Yeosang and I just danced and did our own thing for the night. I started to have a bad feeling about him but I pushed it away.

They started dating the day after and for awhile everything was ok. Brooke was happy with him and fell in love. Lucas was a sweetheart to her at first. But as the months went by, Yeosang and I started seeing less of Brooke. We started to get worried about her. One day Lucas came up to Yeosang and told him to stay away from Brooke from now on.

Yeosang told me and I became furious. He had told me to stay out of it no matter how mad I was but I was stupid and didn't listen. The next day, I went to Brooke, who immediately started pleading with me to make Yeosang listen to whatever Lucas had said. It was then that I noticed the bruises on my best friends body.

I remember asking her if Lucas had been hitting her and she lashed out at me.

Brooke pulled down her sleeves and crossed her arms. "Stay out of it, Sena! It's not your business! Just tell Yeosang to listen to Lucas and leave me alone!" Brooke screamed.

I had watched my best friend run away and didn't do anything to stop her, because I was scared to get yelled at again. I didn't know what else to say or do to help her. I went to find Yeosang with silent tears running down my face. I remember finding him sitting against his locker. I walked over and sat down next to him, laying my head on his shoulder.

"What are we gonna do, Sena?" He asked.

"I don't know, Sang. Brooke won't listen to me, she wants me to stay out of it. She said to warn you and tell you to do what Lucas says." I recapped.

"He actually just left. A few minutes before you came." Yeosang revealed.

"What happened? What did he say to you?" I panicked.

"He told me to stay away from Brooke again because I'm a bad influence on her and he doesn't feel comfortable with me around blah blah blah." Yeosang mocked.

"What else did he say? Please Yeo, it's important." I pleaded, growing anxious.

"It doesn't matter anymore, Sena." Yeosang sided.

"Yes it does, Yeosang!" I scolded, my voice wavering slightly.

"But why, Sena?!" Yeosang questioned.

"Because Brooke has bruises on her arms from Lucas and I need to know what he told you and if it's threatening so I can - or we can - talk to her parents about it!"

By the end of that, I remember sobbing into his shoulder. Watching her struggle and not accept our help was the hardest thing. Yeosang and I did end up talking to her parents about the situation, but they claimed that they didn't have the money to deal with a situation like that. They didn't even try. They just abandoned their own daughter. I lost all respect for them after that.

Yeosang and I left that house after I threw a fit and screamed at Brooke's parents. He gave me that look he always gave me when I messed up. But I didn't care, they deserved to know how I felt about their careless parenting. Yeosang was always better at controlling his anger than I was. I loved that about him, how he would stay calm no matter how mad I became. It took a lot to make him show his anger and lord I never want to see that again.