The Parkinson Theory

Chapter Thirty-One

Between classes the next day, Harry managed to catch Draco leaving Herbology. He reached out and caught him by the arm, pulling him into an abandoned corridor.

"What the hell, Harry?" Draco sneered and smoothed out his now wrinkled sleeves, but didn't push Harry away. "I thought we were meeting this afternoon."

"Sorry," he replied hurriedly, glancing around the hall. "We are, I just had a thought that couldn't wait."

"Out with it then," Draco said impatiently, though Harry knew he had nowhere better to be.

"You know how you were planning on staying here for the Holidays?"

"Yes, I believe I might have mentioned it," Draco drawled sarcastically, leaning against the wall.

"I was thinking," Harry paused and shifted, slightly nervous. "What if you came with me to Andromeda's instead?" The blonde's face became very still and stony. Harry could only presume he was apprehensive, so he continued. "That way, you wouldn't have to go to Malfoy Manor, but you wouldn't be alone either. And you could meet Teddy."

Harry waited for what felt like eons for Draco to respond.

"Am I..." He cut himself off, biting at his lip. "Am I even welcome there?" Harry's heart dropped as he realized that Draco wasn't hesitant about spending his break with Harry because he didn't want to, but because he thought he would be rejected by his own family.

"You're her nephew, I'm sure she wouldn't turn you away," Harry tried to reassure him, but it didn't seem to help. "Would it help if I wrote to her? Asked her if you could stay? I'm sure she'll say yes." Draco nodded. Harry smiled and cupped the side of his face, stroking his cheek with his thumb.

"What about my mother?" the blonde whispered. Harry cocked his head. "Do you think Andromeda would allow her to come as well?"

"I can ask," Harry said hopefully, which earned him a small smile. His eyes flitted to the other side of the corridor, where he spotted some movement.

Unfortunately, Draco saw this as well, and seconds later he was tearing down the corridor.

"Draco, wait!" Harry called after him, chasing him down. They rounded the corner and came face to face with Ambrose, the first year Gryffindor. He smiled and waved at them awkwardly. "Ambrose?"

"You know this miscreant?" Draco pointed down towards the top of Ambrose's curly head. Ambrose looked up with his wide, dark eyes, and Harry immediately felt the all too familiar urge to punch Draco in the face.

"Draco!" he said warningly. He turned to the small first year. "Hi Ambrose, er-"

"I didn't see anything!" Ambrose blurted suddenly, and Harry was confused until he caught sight of Draco, who was glaring at the child like a predator about to go in for the kill.

"Dra-" Harry cut himself off, realizing that he was about to use his first name. Then he recalled that he'd already used Draco's first name in front of Ambrose, so doing it a second time really wouldn't change anything. "Draco, enough." The blonde held his glare for a few moments longer before rolling his eyes and looking at the ground. Harry, again, focused his attention on Ambrose. "Sorry about that. Look, I hate to ask but... you did see something, didn't you?"

Harry swallowed nervously as Ambrose slowly nodded. His eyes flitted to Draco pleadingly, but the Slytherin had nothing helpful to add. Instead, he witnessed the blonde nod towards Ambrose and mouth, We could just kill him.