11.

Nothing was as it had been before.

Although students and teachers seemed to have returned to their natural pace of tutoring and studying, the heavy atmosphere of gloom and fear had deeply rooted itself in the hearts of students. Mary Rose Potts had left nearly a month ago – and she never returned again.

Augusta kept herself busy. Every morning she would attend classes, and every evening she would drown herself in her studies. The exams were right around the corner; and the closer they got the further she seemed to drift away from reality.

She found that it helped.

"You alright?"

She looked up, meeting Damian's gaze, having not realised that she had been subconsciously stirring her tea for nearly a minute.

"No." She answered truthfully, deciding that she did not have the strength to lie. Even for the sake of a conversation. "My parents want me to go home."

She had received the letter nearly two days ago. It had been a short and stern message; written in her father's haste yet formal handwriting. Your mother and I have determined that the best decision would be for you to return home. It had stated.  She had tossed it into the fire, not wanting to read more.

"Mine too." Damian said. He nibbled at his toast. "Mum doesn't want me to attend next year, either."

Startled, Augusta at last looked up to meet his eyes. Damian had always been an open book, yet she found it hard to decipher what he was thinking. He shrugged at her questioning gaze, tossing his toast aside.

"What?" He asked. "It's a fair request. Have you read the recent news? It's getting crazy..."

Of course she had. Augusta had read all of the recent news, matter of fact. Every article and every title; each one worse than the other.

~
THREE AURORS DEAD
Yesterday, three high-classed aurors were found dead after a night's pursuit of five Death Eaters; He Who Shall Not Be Named's anonymous cult followers. . .

~
PRIME MINISTER ADVISES PEOPLE TO STAY INSIDE
Following a series of unfortunate events, the Prime Minister advises people stay safe inside of homes and away from large, social gatherings....

~
IS HOGWARTS SAFE?
A number of parents worry that the school of witchcraft and wizardry might not be as secure as the Headmaster would like for everyone to believe...

The news were endless. The situation was worsening. Every day, students lessened as the threat of a war increased. She felt like throwing up – and so she focused on her exams. The thought of studying seemed less threatening than the thought of overthinking.

"Merlin's beard..." Damian suddenly gasped, drawing his hand over his mouth. His eyes were wide with horror and his face was pale as he stared down at the Daily Prophet's headline.

"What?" Augusta asked, feeling turmoil swirl in her stomach. "Damian, what is it?" 

Damian shook his head. Having grown impatient, Augusta leaned over the table and snatched the paper from his grip. With shaking hands she turned to read the headline, and felt her heart stop beating the moment her eyes grazed over the title:

~
AN OVERNIGHT MASSACRE: TWENTY THREE FOUND DEAD
Twenty three people of muggle descent, including four children below the ages of twelve, were found dead this Wednesday morning. Their bodies were mutilated with symbols of snakes coiled around a skull; indicating this this massacre was indeed the making of He Who Shall Not Be Named and his followers. . .